Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Diverting a spring under the pool

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    England, UK

    Diverting a spring under the pool

    The pool I look after has a small crack in the base of the pool about the size and shape of a horseshoe. When the pool is empty, water enters the pool through this crack, so I guess that means that the water table is high. The pool is built part way up a slope - ground rises behind it, and there is a 4' step down on the other side.

    This year, the crack was filled with epoxy so that children don't stub their toes on it, but a pencil sized hole was left to prevent water pressure from building up underneath and bursting open a bigger hole. If you put weight on the part of the pool next to the crack, you can get it to move - so who knows what's going on under there.

    Our pool man has suggested that this autumn we could find out what's going on under there by digging it up, and then putting in a pipe under the pool to take the "spring" water away by making a channel in the pool base, putting in a pipe and then mending things afterwards so you can't see any of this.

    I've also noticed that there is also a crack in the coping and top of the skimmer channel on the short side facing across the slope, and the other skimmer, which is on the downhill side of the long side, is at least an inch lower. Part of me thinks the pool is cracked and heading slowly down the slope - although it is going very slowly as the pool is 45 years old.

    I'm wondering if we would be better off leaving well alone, or is this work necessary? I don't want to turn up something that would leave us with a huge bill as we can't afford it.

    Is there anything non-destructive I can do to investigate the integrity of the pool structure?
    90k litres, outdoor in ground pool, concrete, painted (I hate paint)
    Sta-Rite 5P2R 1.5 Hp pump, undersized sand filter (needs upgrading).

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Melt In The Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Tucson, AZ

    Re: Diverting a spring under the pool

    Interesting issue; sorry I can't help.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

  3. Back To Top    #3

    In the Industry
    ConcreteJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Williamsburg, VA

    Diverting a spring under the pool

    A geotechnical or structural engineer should be able to do an investigation, likely for a couple hundred bucks. Pools to break and sink, just as houses do; repairs can be quite costly, depending on the degree of movement and instability of the soil under it. Additionally, a foundation repair or soil stabilization contractor may be able to give it a look and you an opinion based upon their knowledge of repairs.

    If you're short on cash and it's been there for 45 years, it's probably not worth throwing thousands of dollars into a full-blown structural repair. Stopping underground water flows usually involves injecting grout into the soil to create an underground dam and is a rather intensive and expensive process.

    I am here:,-77.493824

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts