Winter Covers and Resin AGP Damage

cramar

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 10, 2010
Sault Ontario
Sharkline specifically states that they don't cover any winter damage under their warranty - which originally shocked me a bit seeing as I live in an area with hard winters. But, I'm assuming their pool is as capable as any other AGP to withstand winter, especially since they give tips on how to winterize the pool.

They specifically state that a winter cover should not use the wire for tightening as it can damage the resin components, has anyone with a resin pool noticed any impact on the resin components from the cover wire?
Sharkline recommends using jugs and straps instead of the strap.

I'd like to bump this one because I'd like to know as well. After reading this post, I'd like to know the best winter cover to use for a resin pool. I also have the Matrix and was considering a regular cover that comes with the cable. What's everyones' general consensus on this?

I'm already going to be trying to figure out how to get the cover over the pool where it stays with the deck that I'm having built. I'll likely not be covering up for a couple of more weeks but I'd like to get a jump on it.

I need to buy a new cover for my new resin pool also. I thought this style looked like it might be a safe bet for my resin pol with the wider top rails:

[attachment=0:2mqp1pbe]skirted-winter-cover.jpg[/attachment:2mqp1pbe]
Description: The above-ground skirted winter cover is cut to the exact size of your round or oval pool. A skirt, 2 feet long is sewn onto the cover to form a snug and secure fit around your pool. The cover comes complete with cable, winch, clips and screws. The clips are secured to each upright. The cable can then be run through the cover and each clip. This reinforces the cover to your pool. Blue on top, black on bottom. GET A FREE 4 ft. x 4 ft. AIR PILLOW WITH PURCHASE! 10 year warranty and is Made in the USA!

Attachments

• skirted-winter-cover.jpg
    skirted-winter-cover.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 361
I'm gonna put mine on using the cable but I'm not going to cinch it up very tight, Sharkline recommends using bungee attached to bleach jugs (got lots of those). Might as well do what the manufacturer recommends.

cramar said:
I'm gonna put mine on using the cable but I'm not going to cinch it up very tight, Sharkline recommends using bungee attached to bleach jugs (got lots of those). Might as well do what the manufacturer recommends.

The jugs are a viable option, but for me it will not be. :( I'll have a deck half-way around the pool, with only a foot or two of ground clearance on one side. I'd like to take advantage of the standard cable setup but I'm slightly concerned about the cable vs. resin uprights. I suppose I'll just get it reasonably tight and wait and see if the wind takes it off or not.

BTW - I saw your build thread and I'd like to commend you on taking on such a large task on your own. I know there are many who put these things together, but not many do it alone.

Us 4 must be the only people out of 100+ reads on this thread who have a resin pool with a cover LOL. I can't believe that not one other person has any experience with resin pool parts and the standard cover/cable setup. Is this an asinine question or something?

moze229 said:
cramar said:

The jugs are a viable option, but for me it will not be. :( I'll have a deck half-way around the pool, with only a foot or two of ground clearance on one side. I'd like to take advantage of the standard cable setup but I'm slightly concerned about the cable vs. resin uprights. I suppose I'll just get it reasonably tight and wait and see if the wind takes it off or not.

BTW - I saw your build thread and I'd like to commend you on taking on such a large task on your own. I know there are many who put these things together, but not many do it alone.

Us 4 must be the only people out of 100+ reads on this thread who have a resin pool with a cover LOL. I can't believe that not one other person has any experience with resin pool parts and the standard cover/cable setup. Is this an asinine question or something?

I'm hoping maybe it is really a non-issue - i.e. a tight cable on a resin pool does not cause any real issues... On my old pool I always used those plastic clips that attach to the cover on the bottom edge of the top rail. Tomorrow I will see if they will work on the new pool rails. The clips would pretty much ensure that no wind would get under the cover and the cable would not get dragged upward against the rails if the cover started to sink into the pool due to frozen snow/ ice.

I really need to order a new cover soon so I hope I can figure this out this week!

mcgeggy said:
I'm hoping maybe it is really a non-issue - i.e. a tight cable on a resin pool does not cause any real issues... On my old pool I always used those plastic clips that attach to the cover on the bottom edge of the top rail. Tomorrow I will see if they will work on the new pool rails. The clips would pretty much ensure that no wind would get under the cover and the cable would not get dragged upward against the rails if the cover started to sink into the pool due to frozen snow/ ice.

I really need to order a new cover soon so I hope I can figure this out this week!

Where might I find these clips that you speak of?? :) I suppose one could find some other things to use for fastening the cover down that way - just curious if something is made specifically for that application. I haven't seen that before.

We have had an AGP with resin uprights and coping for 7 years now. With the exception of 1 year, we have covered the pool each year with the cable. It has not caused any damage to the resin. I tried the plastic clips in addition to the cable the first year and they all popped off and broke - waste of money.

These are the clips. I usually get them for a few dollars at my local pool store, and most of them usually survive the winter intact. It all depends on how much snow we get and how diligent I am about keeping the water out of the top of the cover...

[attachment=0:1w7367z0]594100.jpg[/attachment:1w7367z0]

Attachments

• 594100.jpg
    594100.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 347

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ended up going with the the wire fastener, just didn't torque it too tight.
I could see how it could cause some abrasion to the resin legs with consistent heavy wind, I'll keep an eye on it but I think it will be fine.

I know I'm late jumping in here, but we used a cable/winch system for our cover. It has only been on 3 weeks and we already have damage on the resin post covers. The wind has been super bad and it yanked the cover up causing damage. We have water on top of the cover and sand bags, but it just flipped those right off the wind was so strong. Maybe the shrink wrap and clips will work?? We're going that route next.

I personally try to use the wire and winch whenever I can. Making sure that the wire is not caught on the skimmer or return line. The only other thing I do is if there is extra cover material I roll it around the wire to pad the pool from the wire.

I finally ordered a cover and it came with free cover clips. I know some don't like them because they can break after one or two seasons, but so what they're cheap enough. They sent enough so that I was able to place two clips in between each upright. The clips make it virtually impossible for wind to get under the cover, and they also hold the cover tightly in place so that water weight will not cause the cover to slowly pull the overlap (and cable) up against the top rails.

I closed my new above ground pool for the first time a few weeks ago. I went with the plastic clips. I used 2 clips between uprights, they are basically spaced every couple feet. Very windy this weekend, pool cover wasn't bothered at all. Covered in leaves now. We had 20 mph winds on Saturday and Sunday with gusts over 40 mph. Everything stayed in place very well.
A lot of people seem to feel that the biggest issue with the plastic clips is that they break. I look at that as a "pro" in the design of the clips. If a great deal of tension comes to the cover and something has to give......it should be a $2 clip. A cable would be the strongest of all items and likely the last to break...........if something comes under a lot of stress either the cover will rip, an upright will get damaged or a plastic toprail will snap......but the cable will be fine :lol: I'd rather just have a $2 clip snap and fall to the ground.......
My thoughts so far anyway, maybe I will have a totally different opinion next spring when I go to open the pool.

Gravel7 said:
I closed my new above ground pool for the first time a few weeks ago. I went with the plastic clips. I used 2 clips between uprights, they are basically spaced every couple feet. Very windy this weekend, pool cover wasn't bothered at all. Covered in leaves now. We had 20 mph winds on Saturday and Sunday with gusts over 40 mph. Everything stayed in place very well.
A lot of people seem to feel that the biggest issue with the plastic clips is that they break. I look at that as a "pro" in the design of the clips. If a great deal of tension comes to the cover and something has to give......it should be a $2 clip. A cable would be the strongest of all items and likely the last to break...........if something comes under a lot of stress either the cover will rip, an upright will get damaged or a plastic toprail will snap......but the cable will be fine :lol: I'd rather just have a $2 clip snap and fall to the ground.......
My thoughts so far anyway, maybe I will have a totally different opinion next spring when I go to open the pool.

Good point about the clips breaking first instead of parts you don't want to break. They usually start breaking on mine after a few years due to the cold/heat cycles of the weather. And you can get them a lot cheaper than $2/ clip if you look online!

Pool Dreamer - what kind of damage did you get?

We've had major wind storms here (MAJOR) and I understand the manufacturers concern now, I was out putting bungees and water jugs on so my cover wouldn't blow away, I still need to get some more (3 days prior I stomped most of my used bleach jugs and put them in the recycling).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.