Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Finally have water I have a leak?

1. Back To Top    #1

Finally have water I have a leak?

Finally put water in the pool and everything seems ok but I am concerned (probably like most DIY builders!) that I am leaking water.

I did the bucket test last night and lost about half an inch in 24 hours in the pool and close to 4/16 in the bucket. The bucket was outside the pool and I just used tap water which was cooler than the pool water which was around 80.

Temps overnight dropped to the 50's and only hit mid 70's in the day. The pool gets sun in different spots throughout the whole day and the bucket was in direct sun for only part of the day.

I have two of those stupid aqua genie's and can't properly test the pressure. Does it sound like I am ok? The pool is backfilled and I am about to pour my deck and I am freaking out!

10,000 gallon, in-ground 19x32, hayward sand filter, 250,000 btu hayward heater, hayward 2 speed 2hp pump, pentair chlorine feeder, 2 aqua genie skimmers, self build!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Portland, Oregon

Re: Finally have water I have a leak?

I think you're supposed to put the bucket in the pool, and the water level should be the same as the pool water. When the bucket is in the pool it keeps the temperature the same as the pool as well as allowing the bucket water to experience the same environment (wind, sun, etc.) as the pool.

I think... Someone will clarify I'm sure.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

3. Back To Top    #3

San Diego, CA

Re: Finally have water I have a leak?

You're right frogabog.

Poolmobile check out this article in pool school: pool-school/leak_detection
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner