my intex Model SF15110 Sand Filter (1600 GPH) has no suction

do you prefer to hard plumb your system or leave it original with flex hoses?

• Total voters
Aug 30, 2011
CALIFORNIA
:thequeen: i have the model sf15110 sand filter for my above ground 18 foot wide pool. i believe it holds 13,500 gallons. well.....someone must be retarded, :rant: cuz they shut off the filter at night and the pool got deep forest green with algae! :grrrr: well, i took it upon myself to do the right things: turn the filter on, add shock, add dry acid, and then they shut it off again and it got algae again!! :cry: so........i drained the darn thing!! and i scrubbed every inch of the walls and floor while wading with trash bags around my feet cuz there were mosquito larvaes everywhere.......i got a bucket and literally scooped every darn drop of water out! :goodjob: so.....we wanted to test the fliter to see if it still worked since it had been off for a few weeks and we filled a 5 gallon bucket with water and placed the end of the hose in it and turned on the pump......not much happened. the pump was on....but with lack of suction. :rant: so....now id like to know: do you guys think that the issue is with my pump and filter? or with the fact that my pool is epmty and im trying to use a bucket of water? like...does the suction of the pump only work if the pool is full? or should it work even if i just place the hose in a 5 gallon bucket? i just need to know so i can either fix the pump before or after i fill the pool. thanks!![/color]

Attachments

• intex-56673EG-sand-filter.jpg
    intex-56673EG-sand-filter.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 117
Re: my intex Model SF15110 Sand Filter (1600 GPH) has no suc

Your water level needs to be above that pump, it is not self priming. Put you bucket high and release the air from the basket. Hopefully then it works.

Another note...

The pump being off is not what caused the pool to get algae. Algae is the result of not enough chlorine. You could run that pump 24/7 but without the proper amount of chlorine maintained daily (every day, day in, day out) algae will bloom.

Do you have a test kit? If so, can you tell us about it and post some results? How do you normally chlorinate the pool?

I agree with frogabog. It is your lack of sanitizer that turned your pool into a swamp.

You do know that the pump is only designed to run 12 hours a day right? It may shut it's self off due to overheating protection.

That pump is slightly undersized for your pool but if you run it for 12 hours with the intex SWCG your pool will be clear.

Do yourself and your pool a favor, buy the intex swcg from wallmart.com $50 now. You also need a good test kit.

I don't have a test kit....but I take my water to leslies pool supply and they test it every week. I don't know what a swcg is but ill definitely look into it......is it necessary or important? And thankyou for your responses :)

I looked it up......a salt water.thing? Is that including using my chlorine? Or do I stop using chlorine and use strictly salt? Because I really don't like the idea of salt so much because of the corrosion and would it even kill bacteria in the water? Im new to all this stuff.
I also plan to run my timer from now on!! Lol :)

Um...I know im replying alot.....but I keep noticing things lol! So....what's bob? What's all that stuff under your guys replies? And how do I tell people about my pool like that?

With the intex salt water chlorine generator you add a few bags of salt to your pool and the swcg produces chlorine. For $50 these are a great value. They last 3 to 4 years on average. No more need to add chlorine tablets. At walmart they are $100 but come with a $50 giftcard. They normally sell for $170.

Do not trust leslies with your pool. You have seen what the results are. Get one of our reccomened test kits. Maybe it sounds expensive but I bet it's cheaper that 13,000 gallons of water and the stuff leslies has you buy.

hi Arch_2_Wifey and welcome to TFP!
I went just like that with my pool store, never could keep the pool water stable and clear like I wanted!
I wanted to know pool water better and found TFP through a Google search.
After some reading here I knew I was in the right place to fix my pool up!
# 1 advice...Get your own test Kit with the FAS-DPD testing.
I wouldn't buy anything but the TF-100 kit if your in the U.S. in my opinion, it's the best kit out there!
http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
As the other posts have stated, you have a chlorine problem and possibly the pump not working 100%, but those pump works really well and have a good reputation for smaller pools up to about your size.

This is the best place for help!
Follow this advice here:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/what-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions-t10341.html

Next go back to school and study Pool School links here: IT'S FREE!
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/

If you do this the TFP way, I'll say this...you will suffer from POOLSPARKLITIS!
My pool is truly a Trouble Free Pool!
Perfect all the time and screaming every minute for us to come swimming!
All the info you need is right here. (not at the pool store)
It's the people here that really make this forum home!
Chuck

Attachments

• Pool on 6-22-11 003 resize.jpg
    Pool on 6-22-11 003 resize.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 106

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.