Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward E65 gasket issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward E65 gasket issues

I had to replace the gasket and plates on my E65 hayward pool filter. When I place the assembly back on the gasket is not seating in the groove and when tighted and turn the water on it leaks at various spots.

I took it out, sprayed with WD-40. placed it on 90 degrees off and felt a nice slide when I put it back into position. This reduced the number of leaks but did not stop them.

Is there a special way to tighten the bolts (I used opposites in the same way I do when changing a tire).

HELP. I have tried 5 times to get this gasket back on.

Steve
    Built in 2011, 23x34' IG freeform play pool (18,850 gallon) ~ 7' spa raised 18" with 5 jets, 3 tier fountain and 5 tier cascading waterfall into pool ~ IntelliChlor SCG ~ Pentair Intelligent VS-3050 variable speed pump ~ Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter ~ Easy touch controller ~ Blue Granite Pebble Sheen ~ Intellibrite LEDs ~ Turbo twister slide ~ 8x8 flagstone tanning ledge with umbrella sleeve and bubbler ~ In-pool flagstone table with umbrella sleeve ~ 997 sq ft exposed aggregate decking Our pool build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heyward EC-65 DE Filter

WD-40 is not good to use. Petroleum products will degrade the rubber and cause it to deteriorate. The best thing to use is a silicone lubricant, such as Magic lube II or Dow Corning 111.

If the gasket does not fit in the groove, then you might have the gasket improperly seated between the plates. You should disassemble the plates and reseat the gasket. Clean off the WD-40 and apply silicone lubricant.

Sometimes the top gets warped and won't make a good seal. If that happens, you might have to replace the top.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hayward E65 gasket issues

Thanks, I will try the silcon lube. I have two new plates on and a new gasket.

any other suggestions
    Built in 2011, 23x34' IG freeform play pool (18,850 gallon) ~ 7' spa raised 18" with 5 jets, 3 tier fountain and 5 tier cascading waterfall into pool ~ IntelliChlor SCG ~ Pentair Intelligent VS-3050 variable speed pump ~ Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter ~ Easy touch controller ~ Blue Granite Pebble Sheen ~ Intellibrite LEDs ~ Turbo twister slide ~ 8x8 flagstone tanning ledge with umbrella sleeve and bubbler ~ In-pool flagstone table with umbrella sleeve ~ 997 sq ft exposed aggregate decking Our pool build

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Hayward E65 gasket issues

is it better to install the top with the bump handle up or down?