Intellichlor IC-40 Cell Light Blinking even after cleaning

Re: Intellichlor IC-40 Cell Light Blinking even after cleani

Carlos, thanks again for trying to help. I'll pm my info, but just to let you (and others) know, NO ONE from Pentair has ever sent anyone out to do any kind of water testing. They are adamant that if it's been three years since the original system went in, my two-year-old cell is not warranted. I've received two emails from Pentair both telling me the same thing.
Bill

My appologies Bill, I confused you with the author of this post. I was reading that one because you posted at the bottom of it and then confused the two. When I was talking to Pentair I was referring to the issues that poster had as well as yours.

This is just a post to close out this thread....sadly I got no response from Pentair except for an email saying pretty much, "too bad, you need to replace the cell..." At this point I have resorted to chlorine for the rest of the year since pool use is coming to an end. I'll be looking to replace the IC-40 salt cell. Maybe during the winter months, there will be a sale :)....Thanks to this wonderful website, have learned lots, purchased a top quality test kit and have managed to keep my pool looking good. Although I wish I could rip everything that has Pentair's name on it, guess they'll get me for at least another $500 for the cell....thanks to all.

1) When using SWG, Keep you eye on your other chemicals, PH, TA, CH, Temp, Etc.
2) Keep note on your SI Index.

Based on the water passing in the cell will determined the voltage that is pulled off those blades.
The cell use that voltage based on the water temp to find out the salt readings. (This is why they tell you to clean the cell too)
If the voltage pull is wrong then the readings will also be wrong.

Its not that the cell is showing readings jumping around. Its your water chem thats jumping around due to the water temp changing or something else.

Always look at the SI!! If your pool store tells you that they dont know what it is then find another pool store lol

If the voltage pull is too high then it will trip the inspect cell light.

I honestly dont think there is anything wrong with your cell. What is your SI?

Warranty is what it is and you will find that it is the same if its pentair or jandy. It starts from the FIRST CELL!!!
This hold true if you buy a new TV, CAR or whatever. Warranty does not start over. I never had a problem with pentair service.

Just my two cents

Thanks for your two cents. Pentair finally relented and sent a warranty guy who, after inspecting my chemicals (I keep a daily log and thanks to Taylor test kit, my numbers are pretty consistent). You "honestly don't think there is anything wrong with my cell." Well, aside from not producing chlorine, you're right lol. Anyway after they swapped the cell with a new one, all is ok, so it WAS a defective cell.

BTW when I buy a new car that has a warranty and the starter goes out after a year, the starter comes with a brand new warranty from the date the new starter is installed.

I'm glad you never had probs with Pentair and hope you never will. But we can agree to disagree. Thanks again for your input.

Thanks for your two cents. Pentair finally relented and sent a warranty guy who, after inspecting my chemicals (I keep a daily log and thanks to Taylor test kit, my numbers are pretty consistent). You "honestly don't think there is anything wrong with my cell." Well, aside from not producing chlorine, you're right lol. Anyway after they swapped the cell with a new one, all is ok, so it WAS a defective cell.

BTW when I buy a new car that has a warranty and the starter goes out after a year, the starter comes with a brand new warranty from the date the new starter is installed.

I'm glad you never had probs with Pentair and hope you never will. But we can agree to disagree. Thanks again for your input.

I have similar problem:

Purchased complete system on March 2012from local pool company which installed it for us,
December 2013 noticed salt level is not changing and tested chlorine levels and found it is at lowest level,
Contacted CS Last December, and was told its due cold weather and I should not worry about it, dealt with it with occasional shocking the pool,
Contacted in April, when cell began non-stop blinking and was told unit is OK and just need more salt,
Contacted in May and told them I am shocking my pool every week and cell most certainly in not working and I was asked to produce test results that is done by a pool company. I was instructed to have the pool company test for phosphates and produce the results. Multiple tests was done in a month interval with all showing phosphate non-existent in pool.
after a month I was told that unit is bad but is NOT under warranty.

This by far the worst US company I every had misfortune of dealing with.

I have similar problem:

Purchased complete system on March 2012from local pool company which installed it for us,
December 2013 noticed salt level is not changing and tested chlorine levels and found it is at lowest level,
Contacted CS Last December, and was told its due cold weather and I should not worry about it, dealt with it with occasional shocking the pool,
Contacted in April, when cell began non-stop blinking and was told unit is OK and just need more salt,
Contacted in May and told them I am shocking my pool every week and cell most certainly in not working and I was asked to produce test results that is done by a pool company. I was instructed to have the pool company test for phosphates and produce the results. Multiple tests was done in a month interval with all showing phosphate non-existent in pool.
after a month I was told that unit is bad but is NOT under warranty.

This by far the worst US company I every had misfortune of dealing with.

Just had my IC40 replaced under warranty. 2 years old and approximately 2000 hours. Pentair tells me that they will only cover the remaining year of the original warranty (3yrs) and that if I bought a new cell, the warranty would be only a year. Basically, what that says to me is that the cell is only good for 1-2 years.

Seriously regretting salt water vs. chlorine right about now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.