BBB method

FC 4.5
    CC 5.0
    PH 7.0
    TA 50
    B 50
    CYA 70
    CH 200

All of the sudden it went a little milky. Will clean the Quad DE 80 filter this weekend. I did add a treatment of stain and scale 3 weeks ago. Maybe it just started to work?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Water

Bah!!!

CC is .5
    TC is 5.0

3. Back To Top    #3

I plugged your numbers into the pool calculator and get a CSI of -1.0 (water temp around 85 deg CSI is worse if water is colder).

This is bad if you have a plaster pool. The water will want to etch calcium out of your plaster. Get your PH up to 7.5. If you have plaster, this might explain the sudden cloudiness.

You are also below the minimum FC of 5 for a CYA level of 70. is it possible it dropped way 4.5 for some amount of time?

4. Back To Top    #4

the 7.0 is intentional. Slow steady cleanup of calcium scale. I usually run 7.2 but dipped a bit.

F

5. Back To Top    #5

ooo forgot to say I run a lil polyq 60 to keep Chlorine on the min side

6. Back To Top    #6

But algaecide is not a chlorine replacement. Using it doesn't mean you run less chlorine than what is recommended for the CYA level. If it's used at all, it's in addition to chlorination as an added precaution. In most cases, algaecide is never necessary. Not a drop has entered my pool since filling and using BBB. Two summers worth. All I use to prevent algae is chlorine.

As to your question about the pucks, if you're needing to use bleach every day while using pucks at the same time... something is off (probably the high CYA, which will go higher the more pucks you use). When you stop using the pucks, you will still have to dose the pool daily. Those of us who don't have SWG's do that every day as part of the routine. No big deal.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

7. Back To Top    #7

So the answer to my question is???? To little FC? I used the polyq as a preventative measure because i was running a lower FC to avoid fighting with the sequestering agent. If the cloudyness pre algae then I'll up the FC. If its Calcium then I'm fine with it... It's what I want.

F

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

How are you chlorinating this pool? Now and in the past. How did you get scale in the first place? Those answers may give some insight but I don't think there's any one glaring thing to cause cloudy water.

Why are you waiting 'til this weekend to clean filter? Since a filter is what keeps your water clean, it seems like that's the first thing to do.

Do you have a suspicion you have let your chlorine get too low (how low?) for a period of time.

Cloudy pool water can be any of 100 different things but the first thing I would do is make darn sure I had a very clean filter and then go from there.

When you say it wen't cloudy "all of a sudden" what do you mean? 10 minutes? overnight?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    How are you chlorinating this pool? Now and in the past. How did you get scale in the first place? Those answers may give some insight but I don't think there's any one glaring thing to cause cloudy water.

Why are you waiting 'til this weekend to clean filter? Since a filter is what keeps your water clean, it seems like that's the first thing to do.

Do you have a suspicion you have let your chlorine get too low (how low?) for a period of time.

Cloudy pool water can be any of 100 different things but the first thing I would do is make darn sure I had a very clean filter and then go from there.

When you say it wen't cloudy "all of a sudden" what do you mean? 10 minutes? overnight?
    BBB method

Scale was formed from prolonged high TA and PH

All of a sudden was overnight....

F

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

chlorination....pucks? Cal Hypo? Bleach?

Have you cleaned your filter?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

BBB method

Will clean filter Friday.... Its really not that dirty but can't hurt.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    How are you chlorinating this pool? Now and in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by poolvibe
    BBB method
    Duraleigh may have asked twice since he does not assume you meant bleach when BBB is mentioned. From my perspective, the BBB method does not absolutely require your chlorine source to be from bleach, though this is the typical source. Rather, the BBB method teaches to test pool water with a good (appropriate) test kit to know what chemicals and how much to add to the pool water. Duraleigh correct me if I am wrong about why you asked twice?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.