To those with oval above ground pools

Actually I love our 27 ft round pool, I like the consistent diameter being large rather than with alot of the oval pools you may only have a 16 foot width or so. But I can understand property constrictions at the same time, it's not an issue in this case though.

I can't see regretting one over the other, once you get a pool in your too busy enjoying it.
The one thing I could see someone regretting is size, in that you might wish you got a bigger model.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We seriously considered an oval pool, for a while it was what we were getting. I knew I would be installing it, I did ALOT of research on installation and in the end came to the difficult decision that it was simply more than I could do and I don't regret that decision.
I'm a pretty handy guy and not afraid to tackle tough jobs but to me installing an oval was simply more work, and complexity, than I could handle, especially for a first pool install. That was the final decision on oval versus round, also, the local prices for pool installs are ridiculous.
I'm not saying it's impossible to do, but the volume of dirt to remove/add is significant and the wall bracing system looked challenging.

If your planning to do an oval install yourself there are lots of videos out there showing how to do it, additionally if you go to most major pool manufacturers you can download pool manuals (for initial research the model is irrelevant) and you can study what is involved with putting up an oval.

My personal recommendation: if you want an oval and if you can afford it - get a good pool installer, if you can't (and you want an oval) make sure you fully study the install process.

christine19720 said:
Oval pool owners, did you do the installation yourself?
This is a good question. As cramer mentioned you need to be a pretty sharp do-it-yourselfer to do an oval. It wouldn't scare me away, but I if I was the one doing it, I would need to study it a bit (I love a challenge). I like round, engineering wise it is the right shape for strength! Both types can have deep ends!

Did not install it ourselves. The terrain was tricky and required a small backhoe and grader. Even in a less challenging environment we would have hired a contractor. We're pretty handy but this is a project beyond our scope and skills. We might replace the liner when that time comes, but even that is a "might".

I did the installation of our 15x30 AGP, but it took a lot longer than I expected, working on it evenings and weekends. I ended up taking 2 seasons to finish, but the family loves it now that it is completed. I also did hard 2" plumbing with 80 gpm DE filter and .75HP pump. Solar is not in yet and will be finished in about a month.

Only issue I have is to much flow capacity for the 1.5" fittings that came with the pool, causing the skimmer to suck air and making a really powerful jet from the return. Right now I am keeping the pool really full to keep the skimmer from sucking air, and took the eyeball out of the return to tame that beast. Contemplating my options of a 2 speed motor upgrade to the pump, and/or adding another skimmer and return. Leaning towards changing the motor anyway, not sure if I want to add more holes to our pool or not yet.

Mike

Looks like we are going to go with the 24X54 round Tahitian. And, once again we are going to self install it in the spring when the ground is soft. Hopefully, we will just be able to order just the pool walls, liner, uprights top and bottom railing because the pump, filter hoses, etc. are all still intact.
That is after we remove the 8 other trees.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Christine

Are you removing trees in the location where you're going to place the pool? I ask because any "hole" you dig will settle over time even without thousands of gallons of water pushing down on the area. More so if a pool is atop it. Removing a stump creates quite a disturbance to the soil. I just wanted to point this out in case you hadn't considered it.

The trees are located on the perimeter of the property, not where the pool will be installed. Basically, we are putting it in the same place the old pool is/ was because all the wiring, pump, filter are already there. But, less trees mean less tree mess in the pool so we can go with a larger pool. We do realize that we will have to basically start over when it comes to excavating, though. The upside is it seems we just installed the pool in 09 so how to do it is all fresh in our memory. Only this time, thankfully, I have convinced hubby to use a bobcat instead of digging it all out with hand shovels.....
That is if the insurance adjusters ever make their way here...
BTW, this is what it used to look like. I remember disliking this picture because there was 1 leaf in the pool LOL!!!

Attachments

• pool sized 1.JPG
    pool sized 1.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 373

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.