Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Landscaping help around AGP...suggestions ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Landscaping help around AGP...suggestions ?

So I currently have a 2-3 foot ring around my AGP and at the point in the picture its a foot drop off from grass to dirt. I was going to fill it in with river rocks but was concerned about the pressure of the rocks on the pool wall. Any suggestions ?

[attachment=0:240rkzn4]pool.jpg[/attachment:240rkzn4]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Landscaping help around AGP...suggestions ?

I had about a 2 ft drop on one side of my above ground pool. Heres what I did, laid a corrigated drain pipe down, filled the hole witk big rocks an concrete chunks from a broken up sidewalk, and then poured mulch over top of that. It's been 4 years with no issues. I laid the rocks and and stuff carefully so not to damage the side of the pool. So if you are using river rock, I really don't see a problem if you do it carefully.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pepsiholic
    I had about a 2 ft drop on one side of my above ground pool. Heres what I did, laid a corrigated drain pipe down, filled the hole witk big rocks an concrete chunks from a broken up sidewalk, and then poured mulch over top of that. It's been 4 years with no issues. I laid the rocks and and stuff carefully so not to damage the side of the pool. So if you are using river rock, I really don't see a problem if you do it carefully.
    By corrugated drain pipe you mean the black tubes ? You filled those with rocks ?
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I think they placed the pipe in the area around the pool and then covered the pipe with rocks/concrete chunks and then mulched over that.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

guess Im having a hard time envisioning putting round tubes of pipe with rocks on top of it and how that would protect the pool wall.

6. Back To Top    #6

The pipe was for water drainage, to keep water from sitting next to the pool walls, then that was covered with the rock and such. Then a thin layer of mulch, but pea gravel or river rock would be just fine.

[attachment=0:1qtuql01]pool.bmp[/attachment:1qtuql01]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

7. Back To Top    #7

OK revisiting this now. So I am assuming the corrugated pipe that is around the pool is perforated ?
    So here would be my understanding of what to do.
    Put down a base of gravel all around pool.
    Put perforated corrugated pipe on the deeper side. Cover with gravel. Add river rocks on top of gravel. Does this make sense ? Will gravel get inside of a perforated corrugated pipe ?
    Is it ok for tiny pieces to get in but still allow water flow towards the back of the backyard? (my drain area)