BBB question about closing

Jul 23, 2010
Mickleton, NJ
Last year the pool was less than 2 months old at closing. I had the pool store close it up and I wasn't home when they came. We closed late Sept. and dh and I opened the poolourselves in late April. Water was crystal clear. I didn't have my test kit yet so I'm not sure what the levels were. However, since I was listening to the pool store then I dump a bag of "shock" in, and then a few pucks. In May I got my TF-100 and when I tested FC it was at 27! CYA was at 70! I went BBB at that point and haven't looked back. Didn't need anything but bleach all season and I've been crystal clear.

I still want the pool store to close the pool this year. We had a very rough winter here last year and the cover and pillow were put on very well and I would feel better if they came to do that. However, I don't know if I want them dumping any chemicals in the pool. Currently my CYA is at 55, it finally came down with all of the spash out and rain (took forever). I'm wondering if I should have them just break down equip and cover pool but not add any "winterizing chemicals." However, I'd love to open as clean next year. So finally after all of that background, my questions...

What do you add for winterizing? Increase FC? etc.

Does you pool open clear in the spring?

Most places will do a closing without adding any chemicals if you ask. When I close I bring the pool up to shock level the day before the closing and add some polyquat (algaecide). Then I have a service company do the actual closing and make sure they don't add anything.

JasonLion said:
Most places will do a closing without adding any chemicals if you ask. When I close I bring the pool up to shock level the day before the closing and add some polyquat (algaecide). Then I have a service company do the actual closing and make sure they don't add anything.
Jason...just curious, why have a company do it, is it that much more involved with a IGP? Is there some sort of guarantee that comes with the service? When I read the pool school closing IGP article, it all seems pretty straightforward.

I would also be interested to know this, since I've been thinking about getting a bigger shopvac so I can blow out the lines myself. If there's a reason which prevents you from doing it yourself, maybe I shouldn't be trying it either!

I've been doing it myself for over 40 years. The tricky part is blowing the lines. A good compressor/blower is key, and so is the right hardware for connecting it. There are lots of right answers. I have a big 5HP/50 gal compressor in my basement that I connect at 15psi through ordinary garden hoses to a hose spigot on the pump output thoughtfully put there by Anthony & Sylvan. A pancake compressor won't do it, and neither will a small Shop-Vac. You need some real beef to sleep well on real cold nights.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.