Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Check out my electrical codes. Strict !

1. Back To Top    #1

Check out my electrical codes. Strict !

This is what my area requires for my pool electric to be "up to code"
    Not sure why I would need ANOTHER outlet when I have an outdoor outlet already on the back of my house that is a GFI outlet. Can anyon e comment on that? I am in bethlehem pa area

http://keycodes.net/wp-content/uploads/ ... s-2010.pdf
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Check out my electrical codes. Strict !

That is all fairly standard stuff, actually a shorter list than a fair number of places.

The connivence outlet needs to be close enough that you won't use an extension cord. They don't want the end of an extension cord falling in the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If the receptacle on the house is more than 20' from the pool, a light or radio will be too far away.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

The code is what it is. No way to change it. Does your existing electrical meet all requirements?

I think most people with AGP's don't even consider code.

Personally I have a small 12 foot transisition pool as my daughter is 3 y/o. My final pool will be in a different location of the yard. I did not want to pay $$$$ for electrical that will be used for a couple of years. I did use common sense. I paid $300 for a fence to my $150 pool.

Still if you are not in code and any unforeseeable injury or death occurs most likely your homeowners insurance will not pay and you could lose the pool along with your house.
    3500 gallon 14x42 Intex Ultra Frame
    1/2 HP Intex 1600 sand filter/pump - Intex SWCG
    Two 4x20 Fafco solar panels.
    Taylor K-2006
    Marquis spirit hot tub - Grill Dome ceramic grill/smoker

5. Back To Top    #5

Like Jason said, that's normal.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

You are really lucky, unlike most of us who have to talk to the inspector and look at the NEC codes and wonder how it is enforced in our area, it appears you have it all laid out for you in an easy to read document. All of what your doc shows we also have to do around here but we have no doc to show/tell us other than the NEC (which can be a little cryptic and fuzzy on AGP verses IGP requirements).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    You are really lucky, unlike most of us who have to talk to the inspector and look at the NEC codes and wonder how it is enforced in our area, it appears you have it all laid out for you in an easy to read document. All of what your doc shows we also have to do around here but we have no doc to show/tell us other than the NEC (which can be a little cryptic and fuzzy on AGP verses IGP requirements).
    Well your inspector is getting his "code" from somewhere. Call him and ask him--Im sure its not just off of his judgement thats in his head you know ? Thats all I did. I will measure to see how close the outlet is...man I hope its less than 20 feet.
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gdog2004
    Well your inspector is getting his "code" from somewhere. Call him and ask him--Im sure its not just off of his judgement thats in his head you know ?
    Yep, done that in the past, no document other than NEC here, so how it is enforced is inspector specific
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Quote Originally Posted by gdog2004
    Well your inspector is getting his "code" from somewhere. Call him and ask him--Im sure its not just off of his judgement thats in his head you know ?
    Yep, done that in the past, no document other than NEC here, so how it is enforced is inspector specific
    Wow. Pretty lame. Maybe you should have a few beers waiting for the inspector