Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA not dissolving in stocking...

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA not dissolving in stocking...

Hi guys:
    Per the advice from this forum I put some CYA granules in a one of my wifes thigh high stockings(with her permission of course ) and put it in front of the return. I put about 2 lbs in to hopefully raise my CYA to about 30. Its not able to stay right in front of the return, it just hangs beneath it. I was hoping it would be gone this morning but it looks as full as when I started. I ran the filter for like 7 hours yesterday and turned it off overnight(no dedicated power yet--delayed due to storm).
    I wasnt sure exaclty how to put it in the skimmer (pour it above the leaf basket ? not sure) and I read a sock or stocking is better.
    I dont really backwash frequently at all. For my 21 ft pool my filter is HUGE (heyward S244T).
    So I would guess I would rarely have to backwash. When I get home from work should I take it out of the stocking and dump in the skimmer basket ?
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA not dissolving in stocking...

What brand CYA is it? I used HTH brand. Put it in a tube sock and squeezed it repeatedly with my hands. I had one pound disolved in less than one hour.
    3500 gallon 14x42 Intex Ultra Frame
    1/2 HP Intex 1600 sand filter/pump - Intex SWCG
    Two 4x20 Fafco solar panels.
    Taylor K-2006
    Marquis spirit hot tub - Grill Dome ceramic grill/smoker

3. Back To Top    #3

It seems from some postings here that different water conditions result in different time required to get the CYA into the water. I put mine in a sock and put it in the skimmer. Usually takes about 3 days, with most of the action after the first day.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Just squeeze the stocking. You will see a cloud come out. If you do it in front of a return it helps. Takes about 5 min.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

yes, squeeze it

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    yes, squeeze it
    Ah ok. I missed that part of it. Will do when I get home. For some reason I was under the impression it would just dissolve like every other checmical I have put in so far.
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

7. Back To Top    #7

It will... eventually. Could take a while though without squeezing. So squish it frequently tonight, hourly or whenever you think about it. If it's HTH brand it will dissolve very quickly, the other brands seems to be a little more stubborn and take longer even with squishing.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    It will... eventually. Could take a while though without squeezing. So squish it frequently tonight, hourly or whenever you think about it. If it's HTH brand it will dissolve very quickly, the other brands seems to be a little more stubborn and take longer even with squishing.
    As frog always says...squish squish squish...
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    As frog always says...squish squish squish...
    OK will do. I never dealt with CYA and my first thought was..."its acid DONT TOUCH IT !" --but apparently there is no harm in doing so ?