Pump Replacement Advice Needed

Sprocket

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2011
Central Florida
Glad I found this forum. I'm a bit of a junky when it comes to special interest forums.

My pool is a 16x32 rectangle built in the early 1980's, and I live in Central Florida. Estimated volume is 21,000 gallons. Currently it is a hodge-podge of equipment. The motor has become really loud and I knew it was getting close to its demise. A couple of days ago a crack appeared in the pump on the veloute(sp?) near the metal band. I tried using JB Weld but it did not hold.

One issue I have is 1.5" plumbing. I was looking at the Hayward Super Pump but realized it is 2" longer/deeper, and I would have to modify all the plumbing. The Pentair Whisperflo is roughly the same size as what I have now. First question - any preference between these 2?

I also included a picture of the label from my pathetic motor. From the research I have done, it appears to be a 1HP with a service factor of 1.25.

I could use all the advice I can get and really appreciate all the expertise here. One issue I have not looked into is energy efficiency. Being in Central FL this thing runs year round, 10-12 hours a day in the summer. If there is any additional info I can provide please ask. I'll check back frequently. Thanks.

Attachments

• Pool Equipment.jpg
    Pool Equipment.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 138
  • motor label.jpg
    motor label.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 138
Here is a little more info about our pool. The distance from the pump to the far end of the pool is right at 50' and there are 4 returns. Pool capacity is roughly 20k gallons. Our power cost is $.145/kwh including taxes. I'll have to check the size of the Hayward cartridge filter.

Hey Bama - thanks for the reply. The more I read the more the math makes sense. It appears the 1.5" piping is the limiting factor in how much water can move through the system. I'm trying to determine the approprate HP for the new pump. I've tried to determine the existing motor HP, and the best I can make out is 1HP with a 1.25SF for brake HP of 1.25. Does this make sense? I have not priced the 2 speed pumps yet. If I do stick with 1 speed, how would I determine the correct HP motor? I think I have most of the info, pipe size, gallons, head feet, etc.

Welcome to TFP!!

Yes, you can adapt up to the 2" from your 1.5" piping. If you have a good plumbing store near you you can get threaded ones (or other specialty adapters).

Thanks for the pics :goodjob: I'd suggest putting unions on the influent and effluent pipes from the pump, it'll make working on the pump a LOT easier in the future :) While you're working on the plumbing, you might want to think about raising your cart filter up so that it's at ~ the same height as the 90 coming off the pump - you can also make the pump to filter 2". If you'll post a pic that shows all the above ground plumbing, we might be able to make a few suggestions on 'optimizing' your system.

Below is a different view of the equipment.

To save a few bucks short term, I'm now leaning towards the "energy efficient" WFE-3 and WFE-24. These are marketed as 3/4 and 1 HP, but after taking into account the SF, they both come out to 1.25 SFHP. I'm finding the WFE-3 a little cheaper online. Is there any reason to favor one of these over the other?

Also, raising the filter was mentioned. Is it simply a matter of building a platform to bring the base of the filter in line with the top of the pump?

Attachments

• pool front view.jpg
    pool front view.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 81
You can save some bucks upfront with the High effiecncy single speed, or you can save alot more bucks over the life of the pump / pool by going the 2 speed route. Yes, you'll need to also spend the money for more advanced automation (to turn it on/off and change speeds), but over the long run you will save money (wish I would have known and realized it before I did my own pump replacement this summer).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just ordered the WFE-3 and got a great deal. Now I need to plan what changes if any to make to the equipment layout. I'm interested in any suggestions including more info on raising the cartridge filter height. I learned a ton since finding this site.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.