Caulking around edge of pool

bethalito

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 14, 2010
Oregon
I have an inground plaster pool, 15x27. Along the edge, all the way around, is bull-nose brick. There is caulking between the brick & the concrete.
Along the east edge of the pool,the caulking is pulling away leaving a gap that varies between a sliver & 1/4".
The west side is completely intact.
The south end is pulling away, but not as bad.
The north end is only got a few little spots.
The east side of the pool is on a hill with 6-7' of earth & then a retaining wall. The gap does not seem to be getting bigger, but I have not made notations about its size. I don't know if this is a gravity thing.
Do I need to do something about it?
If so, does the old caulk need to come out before new caulk goes in?
Thanks!
Bethalito

The caulk needs to be replaced if water is getting under your deck. You have to take it all out and clean the deck/brick. There are many different types of self-leveling caulks. I used the Vulcum brand that seemed to work very well. Without caulking, you risk heaving when the temperatures go below freezing. I experienced that last year where much of my deck was 1/2" higher in many places and 1" higher in a few spots. That was due to bad caulking by my PB initially with many areas exposed to water.

Attached a couple photos.
So...I have to pull the old caulk out & replace with Vulcum, ay? This does not sound like a fun job.
Any tips on removing the old caulk?
I would assume I have to go all the way around.

Thanks!
Beth

Attachments

• DSCF5761.JPG
    DSCF5761.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCF5760.JPG
    DSCF5760.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 113
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.