Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slowly automating my home & pool over time

1. Back To Top    #1

St. Louis, MO

Slowly automating my home & pool over time

I am a first time pool owner, who is slowly automating my home over time. The desire to automate the new pool is a no-brainer, but I'm looking for someone to offer some guidance or advice.
    My HAL 2000 automation system is UPB based, and I don't have a need to control the pool remotely (phone, browser etc.). The low voltage lighting is not an issue, but how can I tie into my Pentair VF3050 pump? Is it only possible through using an expensive Pentair product? I also have (3) 2-way valves and (1) 3-way valve controlling flow to different features; can these be controlled (slightly tweaked) through actuators, or are the actuators simply open or closed? Same question would apply for natural gas features.

Any thoughts?
    - 22,000 gals.
    - Cartridge filter
    - IG Shotcrete/plaster/Quartzscape
    - Pentair VF3050 pump
    - Pentair SWG
    - (2) Fire-on-Water bowls
    - (1) 5' Sheer Descent waterfall
    - (2) FiberStars Large Laminar Fountains

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Slowly automating my home & pool over time

There are ways of automating the valves but I'm not sure about the pump. I don't have time to research it right now but I'll look into it soon. You should be able to do something.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

4. Back To Top    #4

Orange County, CA

HAL2000 uses the X-10 powerline protocol to communicate with various devices connected up through standard household wiring. Getting it to control a Pentair 3050 pump would indeed require the IntelliComm module (you would need to get 2-4 powerline to low-voltage relays to interface X-10 to the Intellicomm, btw). My only concern would be reliability, as X-10 is not the most robust HA protocol out there. I've had better luck with Insteon devices. Alternatives are to completely automate your pool equipment using X-10 or to get a dedicated controller (e.g. like the Intellitouch) and obtain a bridge that allows you to control some functions from your HA system. I think the latter may be easier, more reliable, but also much more expensive.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

5. Back To Top    #5

I know that Control 4, Crestron and AMX are pretty versatile home automation systems, but they require a lot of custom setup and programming. If money is not the primary concern, then one of those systems might be worth considering.

6. Back To Top    #6

Austin, TX

There is a thread on the subject of talking to/controlling an Intelliflow at cocoontech

So you have two options:
    1) Interface with RS485 and talk via it's native protocol
    2) Use relays to trigger on/off and preset speeds via a pentair adapter

If you are savvy with control systems, it should be no problem for you to get it to work.
    For me it was easiest to get a Jandy RS12 to control the pump and various systems/valve and then interface with Homeseer to bridge to my home automation stuff. What is really sweet for me right now is that I can see power usage on the pool sub panel, water usage, and pool/ambient temps all in the same weekly/monthly report. I'm working on getting chemical usage in there too.
    38K Gallons IG, Intelliflow VS-SVRS, 30GPM 24/7, 72sqft DE Filter, Spectralight UV, Jandy C1900 driving Liquid Chlorine and Acid (toys, I know..), Jandy LXi gas heater, Aquacal SQ175 Heatpump, Riverflow Competition swimmer, Jandy automation, Touch and iAqualink, Pebblesheen | The Build

7. Back To Top    #7

If you want to use the IntelliTouch for pool automation, then you could use Pentair's i-Link Home Automation Adapter Interface for IntelliTouch to integrate the pool system into the rest of the home automation system. ... ion_US.pdf