Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are chlorine pucks bad for my car?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are chlorine pucks bad for my car?

After 5 years of getting pool-stored and using bromine pucks, I'm slowly switching to chlorine. But now the garage where I stored a bucket of pucks has a strong chlorine smell. I remember seeing the damage done by chlorine gas to a metal shed under the community pool. The steel was eaten away!

Just wondering, now that I am storing chlorine, should I worry about my very nice old BMW stored in the same garage? Will the chlorine fumes attack the paint etc?
    Pool-store refugee, Alsace France. AG 5k gal, sand filter, Brominator, pump 15 gpm (3.5 m3 / hour).
    Thanks to you guys we are switching to bleach from the supermarché!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are chlorine pucks bad for my car?

There could be some damage over a long period of time especially if the ventilation is poor and it gets hot. Trichlor breaks down slowly over time, especially when it gets hot. The gasses that are released are corrosive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Just to add my $.02, get a couple of plastic storage bins and keep you chlorine in one and your muriatic acid in the other. Keep them outside in the shade. Both these chemicals will outgas and oxidize any metal in the area, like your cool car
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Switch from pucks to BBB. problem solved
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Do not store in the garage with a car and other stuff. I found major damage and corrosion to golf clubs, tools, and other items after storing chlorine in the garage. Just store outside.

IMHO
    "Whatever happened to the guy who drained his whole pool?"
    27,000 gal plaster in-ground
    Compupool 40k SWG from eBay - works great!
    Polaris 380
    Hayward DE
    1.4 HP Hayward Northstar pump
    Two FAFCO Solar Bear panels now heating the pool!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

When I worked in a nationally-known pool store, we had to replace the computers about once a year or so because the trichlor corroded everything inside. Shelves were constantly rusty no matter how much we painted them. We had to keep our tools in ziplok bags so they wouldn't corrode. I can only imagine what my lungs looked like after working there..

Florida Pool Service Guy
    15k Kidney Diamond Brite
    Hayward C-1200 Cartridge Filter
    Sta-Rite Dura-Glass 1.5hp Pump
    Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator
    Heliocol Solar Panels

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by cya_sux
    ...I can only imagine what my lungs looked like after working there..
    Fortunately you cough up lots of krap every hour just to clean out your lungs. I saw some countryman of mine smoking today and boy I just had to tell him how dumb it is. We are born with pink lungs then we go down hill from there, non?

I been working all day weed pulling and my body is tyred out, but thanks to all yours comments I want to go outside right now to that garage and put that chlorine outside! My car deserve better
    Pool-store refugee, Alsace France. AG 5k gal, sand filter, Brominator, pump 15 gpm (3.5 m3 / hour).
    Thanks to you guys we are switching to bleach from the supermarché!