Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: suckered in on a used pool - need help

1. Back To Top    #1

suckered in on a used pool - need help

I suckered in on a used above ground pool with a salt water system. The guy finished putting it up and filling it with water on Friday. He is coming back today to hook up all the filters and the salt water system. Evidently whoever he bought it from had stopped taking care of it and it had gotten nasty. (They put in a brand new liner.) The stairs that came with it are gross. Where the water line was at they are nasty and green and all over they feel like they are covered in sand. I have ruined several of those scratch pads trying to clean them up. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get the nasty stuff off of them or should I just buy a new set? They are in good shape - except for the yucky stuff.

2. Back To Top    #2

Mickleton, NJ

Re: suckered in on a used pool - need help

Have you tried water with bleach and a scrub brush?
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

The scratch pads are no good for that. Water and bleach as Melissa said or a Magic Eraser might help too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks to both of you! I used bleach and borrowed a neighbors small powerwasher and was able to get most of the scaley, crusty stuff off. We actually go into our pool for the first time last night!!! Maybe the weather will stay warm enough that we can enjoy it for a few more weeks before we have to shut down for the winter. This is a wonderful source of information and I am so glad that I stumbled onto it!!!!!

Thanks again! Dana aka Poolnewby500 in Oklahoma.