Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG with large Spa, small pool

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG with large Spa, small pool

I have an EasyTouch system with an IntelliChlor 20. After a week or so I pretty much have the pool taken care of, however, I'm having problems keeping chlorine in the spa. Reading the manual I found the following snippet.

Up/Down buttons: Set the chlorination output level for the spa water from 0 to 20%.
    To prevent over chlorination of the spa, the EasyTouch system will automatically drop
    the chlorine output levels to 1/20th of the current pool output when the spa is switched
    on. For example, if the pool output level is set to 60%, when the spa is switched on,
    the chlorination level is reduced to 3%

My pool is about 3900 gallons, and my spa is 600 gallons. Obviously, my spa isn't going to use 1/20th of the chlorine the pool uses. Am I reading this right that the easytouch is outsmarting itself, and if so, does anyone have any advice?

My pool stays happy at 12% to 15% on a pump run time of 11 hours, where the spa run time is 4 or 5 hours. I supposed I could run the pool at a much higher level for 2 or 3 hours. Thoughts?

Fiberglass Ingroung 3850 Gal pool/600 Gal Spa, Intelliflo VS-3050 pump, 240 sqft cartridge filter, EasyTouch system, Intellichlor IC20 SWG. Endless Pools Fastlane current generator.

Portland, Oregon

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: SWG with large Spa, small pool

I supposed I could run the pool at a much higher level for 2 or 3 hours.
    That's exactly what I'd do. You're going to have to outsmart the EZ outsmarting itself.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: SWG with large Spa, small pool

Are your pool and spa connected? If they share water you don't need to do anything special as long as you don't use the spa for too many hours in a row (an hour or two is fine). The water will mix between the pool and spa balancing out any unevenness in the FC level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School