Stains in white pebble Tec

ds18425

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2011
Boerne, TX
Oh great ones,
I was wondering if anyone could help me with some stains in my new pool.
I have a white pebbletek (actually CODY PEBBLE which i think is a copy). Dirt that gets into the pool gets caught in the small groves of the plaster and stains. It doesn't matter how much I scrub they will not come out.
Thanks in advance!

Are the stains all throughout the pool or along the waterline?

Also, how old is the pool?

I know that a lot of new pools (not sure about pebbletek) have an excess amount of plaster dust that settles throughout the pool and stains.

Perhaps the "acid bath & brush strategy" might work?

*dropping the pH to loosen up the stains.

The first thing to do is hold a trichlor puck on a stained area for a few minutes and see if the stains lighten. If they do, they are organic and holding your FC on the high side of what's recommended for your CYA will lighten them over time.

Thanks! The stains are dirt. Due to the rougher texture of the surface it looks like the dirt is getting trapped in groves and staining. It looks like someone threw a handful of fine dirt then brushed it in. we had landscaping going on and the wind blew in topsoil. I scrubbed the daylights out of it with a brush but it will not go away.

If you brushed and manually vacuumed and it won't go away then it doesn't sound like dirt. I'd make absolutely sure it's dirt before acid washing. Acid washing reduces the life of the plaster each time you do it.

How about posting a full set of test results?
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA
Salt

Fc 5.5
CC 0
Ph 7.4
TA 90
CH 220
CY 65
Water temp 88

Well, I did get most of the dirt off when I swept it but some stayed behind. Maybe its something else and thats why im having so much trouble.

The acid bath is fairly simple.

Essentially in the off-season you intentionally drop the pH of the pool with acid. This is less harsh than an acid wash. The low pH helps create a corrosive water environment, when with brushing, will help loosen up stains.

There are a few articles I read online about it. Im sure if you google it, it should pop up. I came across it because my pool was starting to get "dappled" or "mottling" -- plaster dust settling on the bottom (an off-white color).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.