Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains in white pebble Tec

1. Back To Top    #1

Stains in white pebble Tec

Oh great ones,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with some stains in my new pool.
    I have a white pebbletek (actually CODY PEBBLE which i think is a copy). Dirt that gets into the pool gets caught in the small groves of the plaster and stains. It doesn't matter how much I scrub they will not come out.
    Thanks in advance!
    15.5k pool, BBB method used, Plaster in ground pool, DE filter, full sun in Boerne, tx, NO SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stains in white pebble Tec

Are the stains all throughout the pool or along the waterline?

Also, how old is the pool?

I know that a lot of new pools (not sure about pebbletek) have an excess amount of plaster dust that settles throughout the pool and stains.

Perhaps the "acid bath & brush strategy" might work?

*dropping the pH to loosen up the stains.
    8000 gallons, Sand, IG, Plaster, Salt

3. Back To Top    #3

The first thing to do is hold a trichlor puck on a stained area for a few minutes and see if the stains lighten. If they do, they are organic and holding your FC on the high side of what's recommended for your CYA will lighten them over time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! The stains are dirt. Due to the rougher texture of the surface it looks like the dirt is getting trapped in groves and staining. It looks like someone threw a handful of fine dirt then brushed it in. we had landscaping going on and the wind blew in topsoil. I scrubbed the daylights out of it with a brush but it will not go away.
    15.5k pool, BBB method used, Plaster in ground pool, DE filter, full sun in Boerne, tx, NO SWG.

5. Back To Top    #5

the pool is less that 2 months old. what is the "acid bath & brush strategy"?

6. Back To Top    #6

If you brushed and manually vacuumed and it won't go away then it doesn't sound like dirt. I'd make absolutely sure it's dirt before acid washing. Acid washing reduces the life of the plaster each time you do it.

How about posting a full set of test results?
    pH
    FC
    CC
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    Salt
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Fc 5.5
    CC 0
    Ph 7.4
    TA 90
    CH 220
    CY 65
    Water temp 88

Well, I did get most of the dirt off when I swept it but some stayed behind. Maybe its something else and thats why im having so much trouble.

8. Back To Top    #8

Have you tried a soft bristled brush?
    Have you manually vacuumed or even tried holding the hose end on the spot?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

ive tried both w/o success.

10. Back To Top    #10

The acid bath is fairly simple.

Essentially in the off-season you intentionally drop the pH of the pool with acid. This is less harsh than an acid wash. The low pH helps create a corrosive water environment, when with brushing, will help loosen up stains.

There are a few articles I read online about it. Im sure if you google it, it should pop up. I came across it because my pool was starting to get "dappled" or "mottling" -- plaster dust settling on the bottom (an off-white color).
    8000 gallons, Sand, IG, Plaster, Salt