First Full Test of Water

mvk111

May 26, 2011
Tampa, FLorida
I just tested the water for the first time since the builder fired it up on Friday. They have been putting trichlor pucks in strainer since no swg for 30 days. Here are the numbers please help a newbie....I think I did it all correctly. The CYA was clear on two tests that I did, so I am assuming 0. I know besides the pucks they have not added CYA. I have only seen him pour in MA and do the pucks so far. Also the pool has fresh plaster so I know i am fighting the ph rise for awhile to come.

August 28
FC: 2
CC: .5
TC: 2.5
ph 7.2
TA: 110
CH: 210
CYA: 0 ??

Pool looks crystal clear since the filter has been running, initially very cloudy from plaster, construction etc.

All advice is highly welcomed !!
Thanks

If you can keep count of the pucks they use, you can calculate the CYA for now. Save the test reagents until later.

Are they running the pump 24/7? Those pucks are very acidic and when the pump is off that gets harsh in there.

duraleigh said:
They need to use more pucks. How much longer are they supposed to maintain pool water?

I have them for 6 months, but I am thinking that after this week of them getting equipment and stuff in order I might bid them farewell. Also, should I get a floater for the pool to put the pucks in and how many, or should I just keep putting them in the pump basket like they did? And should I add some CYA or keep using pucks for CYA/CH?

As soon as you take over the pool, I suggest you test for CYA and then add enough to get to 40-50ppm total. Then use liquid chlorine as your sanitation source.

Were you planning on using pucks until your CYA reached that level or are you ready to switch anytime?

duraleigh said:
As soon as you take over the pool, I suggest you test for CYA and then add enough to get to 40-50ppm total. Then use liquid chlorine as your sanitation source.

Were you planning on using pucks until your CYA reached that level or are you ready to switch anytime?

I am ready to switch, not sure how many pucks it would take to get to an acceptable cya level. Probably would be easier to dose it once and then worry about the other stuff. So since I got no reading out of the 3 pucks they put in, I assume it is lower than a readable level on the test.....any idea how many pucks need to be dissolved before i start seeing a reading?

Second full test

Just did 2nd full test since last Friday. Right now builder using Trichlor pucks to chlorinate. SWG not up and running yet.
Please provide any advice and feedback....thanks again

FC - 8 (Have had two cloudy days in Tampa)
CC - 0
TC - 8
pH - 7.2 (plaster curing, so from what I have learned it will rise on its own rather quickly)
T/A - 100
Ch - 230
CYA - 5-10 ( Started getting fairly cloudy at 20, I assume by 5-10 I would have been unable to see black dot. Only CYA right now is through the Pucks.

Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Second full test

mvk,

You should probably copy this to your other thread for continuity and then delete this one. From what I remember of your other thread, it seems like you are on the right track. How does your water look?

mvk111 said:
CYA - 5-10 ( Started getting fairly cloudy at 20, I assume by 5-10 I would have been unable to see black dot. Only CYA right now is through the Pucks.
See Taylor's example of what it looks like here http://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=44 (you may have different tube, etc. but the dot clarity is the same).

Butterfly said:
I suggest you simply use the PoolCalculator.com's "effects of adding chems" section to calculate the CYA level for now.
mvk111 said:
they have used 6 pucks so far.....
From pool calculator I get 7.1 CYA for 6, 3 ounce trichlor tabs in a 10500 gallon pool. If you haven't yet, give poolcalculator a shot and see if your results agree.

That seems to make sense, like I said at 20 it was a bit cloudy, I could tell by 10 or so I would not have been able to see the dot. SO 7.5 seems very reasonable. As far as whats the pool water look like....lol....lets just say my 7 year old daughter started screaming last night because she turned on the pool light and thought someone had drained all the water out it was so clear...lol.

mvk111 said:
As far as whats the pool water look like....lol....lets just say my 7 year old daughter started screaming last night because she turned on the pool light and thought someone had drained all the water out it was so clear...lol.

That is so funny.

Just wrapped up our first party with the new pool. Below are the numbers from my full test. I think I am going to stop using the trichlor pucks now that the CYA seems to be where I need it. Any advice on the numbers please help, I think FC is running high I assume I just let that burn off?

Thanks
FC - 9
CC-0
TC-9
Ph-7.2
T/A - 90
CH-250
CYA-70
Water is clear, however when we start using it , it gets a bit cloudy from the new plaster but when it settles it is crystal clear.

9 ppm FC is only about 13 % of the 70 ppm cyanuric acid level, which is fine. I usually keep the FC between 7.5 % and 15 % of the CYA. Are you sure that the CYA is 70 ppm? How did it get so high so fast, did you add cyanuric acid?

The only thing I would suggest is to allow the pH to rise to about 7.7, and keep it there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.