Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Full Test of Water

1. Back To Top    #1

First Full Test of Water

I just tested the water for the first time since the builder fired it up on Friday. They have been putting trichlor pucks in strainer since no swg for 30 days. Here are the numbers please help a newbie....I think I did it all correctly. The CYA was clear on two tests that I did, so I am assuming 0. I know besides the pucks they have not added CYA. I have only seen him pour in MA and do the pucks so far. Also the pool has fresh plaster so I know i am fighting the ph rise for awhile to come.

August 28
    FC: 2
    CC: .5
    TC: 2.5
    ph 7.2
    TA: 110
    CH: 210
    CYA: 0 ??

Pool looks crystal clear since the filter has been running, initially very cloudy from plaster, construction etc.

All advice is highly welcomed !!
    Thanks
    15x30 free form (10,500 gal) SWG
    Gunite, Game depth 3.5-5-4 ft, 1 hp Sta-Rite Super Max 2 speed pump, 53' Sta-Rite system 3 DE filter
    Pentair Intellibrite LED
    Pentair 125k BTU ultra temp heat pump,
    Screen Enclosure
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Full Test of Water

If you can keep count of the pucks they use, you can calculate the CYA for now. Save the test reagents until later.

Are they running the pump 24/7? Those pucks are very acidic and when the pump is off that gets harsh in there.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

So far they have put 3 pucks in. There is a sliver of one left and they are do back on Monday to reload them. Right now the pump is running 24/7 on low speed.
    Gunite, Game depth 3.5-5-4 ft, 1 hp Sta-Rite Super Max 2 speed pump, 53' Sta-Rite system 3 DE filter
    Pentair Intellibrite LED
    Screen Enclosure
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

They need to use more pucks. How much longer are they supposed to maintain pool water?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    They need to use more pucks. How much longer are they supposed to maintain pool water?
    I have them for 6 months, but I am thinking that after this week of them getting equipment and stuff in order I might bid them farewell. Also, should I get a floater for the pool to put the pucks in and how many, or should I just keep putting them in the pump basket like they did? And should I add some CYA or keep using pucks for CYA/CH?
    Pentair Intellibrite LED
    Screen Enclosure
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

As soon as you take over the pool, I suggest you test for CYA and then add enough to get to 40-50ppm total. Then use liquid chlorine as your sanitation source.

Were you planning on using pucks until your CYA reached that level or are you ready to switch anytime?
    Dave S.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    As soon as you take over the pool, I suggest you test for CYA and then add enough to get to 40-50ppm total. Then use liquid chlorine as your sanitation source.

Were you planning on using pucks until your CYA reached that level or are you ready to switch anytime?
    I am ready to switch, not sure how many pucks it would take to get to an acceptable cya level. Probably would be easier to dose it once and then worry about the other stuff. So since I got no reading out of the 3 pucks they put in, I assume it is lower than a readable level on the test.....any idea how many pucks need to be dissolved before i start seeing a reading?
    Pentair Intellibrite LED
    Screen Enclosure
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

At the bottom of the pool calculator you will find a place to do just that. I think it's called "Effects of adding various chemicals"
    Dave S.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for your help ....
    Pentair Intellibrite LED
    Screen Enclosure
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Second full test

Just did 2nd full test since last Friday. Right now builder using Trichlor pucks to chlorinate. SWG not up and running yet.
    Please provide any advice and feedback....thanks again

FC - 8 (Have had two cloudy days in Tampa)
    CC - 0
    TC - 8
    pH - 7.2 (plaster curing, so from what I have learned it will rise on its own rather quickly)
    T/A - 100
    Ch - 230
    CYA - 5-10 ( Started getting fairly cloudy at 20, I assume by 5-10 I would have been unable to see black dot. Only CYA right now is through the Pucks.

Thanks again
    Pentair Intellibrite LED
    Screen Enclosure
    TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: Second full test

Just keep on keeping on.
    How long is the PB going to maintain the chems?
    Don't let them add salt until after 30 days.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Re: Second full test

mvk,

You should probably copy this to your other thread for continuity and then delete this one. From what I remember of your other thread, it seems like you are on the right track. How does your water look?
    Dave S.

13. Back To Top    #13

You should probably copy this to your other thread for continuity and then delete this one.
    Merged threads to maintain history.

A post cannot be deleted once a response/reply has been posted.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

I suggest you simply use the PoolCalculator.com's "effects of adding chems" section to calculate the CYA level for now.

How many pucks have been used?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

they have used 6 pucks so far.....
    Pentair Intellibrite LED
    Screen Enclosure
    TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by mvk111
    CYA - 5-10 ( Started getting fairly cloudy at 20, I assume by 5-10 I would have been unable to see black dot. Only CYA right now is through the Pucks.
    See Taylor's example of what it looks like here http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Ch...P?ContentID=44 (you may have different tube, etc. but the dot clarity is the same).

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    I suggest you simply use the PoolCalculator.com's "effects of adding chems" section to calculate the CYA level for now.
    they have used 6 pucks so far.....
    From pool calculator I get 7.1 CYA for 6, 3 ounce trichlor tabs in a 10500 gallon pool. If you haven't yet, give poolcalculator a shot and see if your results agree.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

17. Back To Top    #17

That seems to make sense, like I said at 20 it was a bit cloudy, I could tell by 10 or so I would not have been able to see the dot. SO 7.5 seems very reasonable. As far as whats the pool water look like....lol....lets just say my 7 year old daughter started screaming last night because she turned on the pool light and thought someone had drained all the water out it was so clear...lol.
    Pentair Intellibrite LED
    Screen Enclosure
    TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

As far as whats the pool water look like....lol....lets just say my 7 year old daughter started screaming last night because she turned on the pool light and thought someone had drained all the water out it was so clear...lol.
    That is so funny.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

19. Back To Top    #19

Just wrapped up our first party with the new pool. Below are the numbers from my full test. I think I am going to stop using the trichlor pucks now that the CYA seems to be where I need it. Any advice on the numbers please help, I think FC is running high I assume I just let that burn off?

Thanks
    FC - 9
    CC-0
    TC-9
    Ph-7.2
    T/A - 90
    CH-250
    CYA-70
    Water is clear, however when we start using it , it gets a bit cloudy from the new plaster but when it settles it is crystal clear.
    Pentair Intellibrite LED
    Screen Enclosure
    TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

9 ppm FC is only about 13 % of the 70 ppm cyanuric acid level, which is fine. I usually keep the FC between 7.5 % and 15 % of the CYA. Are you sure that the CYA is 70 ppm? How did it get so high so fast, did you add cyanuric acid?

The only thing I would suggest is to allow the pH to rise to about 7.7, and keep it there.