Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CH

1. Back To Top    #1

High CH

is the only way to lower my CH is drain the water?? I've been fighting high CH all summer and currently sit at 500.

My tap water has a CH of 150.
    14,000 gallon IG plaster pool, Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High CH

Quote Originally Posted by thabeezer
    is the only way to lower my CH is drain the water??
    That and reverse osmosis treatment. Are you using cal-hypo to chlorinate?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Quote Originally Posted by thabeezer
    is the only way to lower my CH is drain the water??
    That and reverse osmosis treatment. Are you using cal-hypo to chlorinate?
    I use bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Over time evaporation followed by topping off can cause it to creep up too.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Over time evaporation followed by topping off can cause it to creep up too.
    That may be my cause since it's been so hot and dry in Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You can do multiple drain and refills to bring it down. 500 is high but certainly not unmanageable...what issues are you having?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    You can do multiple drain and refills to bring it down. 500 is high but certainly not unmanageable...what issues are you having?
    Starting to get calcium scale on the tile grout. I even had some scale on the joint of the coping outside the pool

8. Back To Top    #8

Could you list a full set of your most recent test numbers? Especially ph, TA, CH, CYA, salt levels, borate levels, temperature...your CSI (Calcite Saturation Index) might indicate your issue. It can be calculated on the poolcalculator.com

9. Back To Top    #9

FC 9
    ph 7.2
    TA 90
    CH 500
    CYA 90
    borates 50
    Water temp 90
    Csi -.14

Water clear

10. Back To Top    #10

Assuming you have no salt (you would have to have a lot though to put you in danger), that is the csi I get too. hmmm....

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Scaling would not appear with those current numbers. If it IS scaling, I imagine your pH and TA have been much higher in times past.

You may be experiencing efflorescence rather than scaling. That's the migration of minerals from beneath the grout and is unrelated to your pool water. I don't know it's cause but muriatic acid in a 3:1 mix will clean it off. It can also be removed mechanically. I have it on about 3 feet of my scum line tile....nowhere else.
    Dave S.

12. Back To Top    #12

I've had the pool about 3 months (new house) and have been using BBB the whole time and ph and TA have been in check.

I'll try the MA solution to clean it

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Yeah, since you know your pH history and it is forming on the grout, I would suspect efflorescence. It'll probably keep coming back for a while but will eventually stop.
    Dave S.

14. Back To Top    #14

So having some free time to research efflorescence it looks like that is the culprit..I am going to mix up some water and MA tonight and see if that takes care of the problem.