Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return Plugged

1. Back To Top    #1

Return Plugged

I'm still relativley new to the pool world and have an older inground pool that's had a return plugged since we purchased the house a few months back.

I purchased a drain king to try and push whatever is in there back to see if I could clear it. Well, when the hose was turned on, I heard a pop over by the pump/pipes. When I checked, water was everywhere and there is a stand alone pipe that comes out of the slab that had the cap blown off. The pipe is not conencted to anything, just straight out of the slab, normally with a cap.

During this process, the drain king slipped out and exploded. I shut the water off, and put the cap back on the pipe. When I checked the water flow of the return, still nothing. I plan to get anotehr drain king and start again.

However, can anyone tell me how this stand along pipe with a cap works into the pumping? Why woudl pushing back cause it to pop? Ther eis another stand alone pipe next to it, but it has a U on top point down, but with no cap on it. Like a pressure release or something.
    IG, 13,000 gal, concrete, DE, VS Intelliflo Pump, Intellichlor SWG

San Diego, Ca.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Return Plugged

I expect it is an unused cleaner port.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you got it. I re-tested it and water flows both ways with no issue, to its a line with nothing connected. Its a 1" line, with another un-used 1" line next to it (on the slab).

Any ideas what the other unused one woudl be for? There are no other returns/cleaner ports in the pool.
    IG, 13,000 gal, concrete, DE, VS Intelliflo Pump, Intellichlor SWG

San Diego, Ca.

4. Back To Top    #4

If it's not for a proposed cleaner line, it might just be a 'reserve' line - one that can be plumbed in if a suction or return line breaks.

When you winterize, if you winterize, be sure to blow that line out and plug it!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Does you pool have a spa built in? If so the open line could be an air feed to the spa.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit