Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: winter shut down in TN

1. Back To Top    #1

winter shut down in TN

Let's face it, cold weather is comming. In southern tennesseee, what do we need to do to get ready for the winter season. This is my first time and I don't want to mess anything up. I have read all the info about the states further north, but do I need to get excited?
    16x32 grecian IG vinyl, appx 19000 gallons, s210t sand filter, Hayward 1HP pump, T-Cell-15 SWCG, Goldline Aqua Plus Controller

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: winter shut down in TN

Do a little research into average low temperatures in your area. If you regularly get a hard freeze then you will want to fully winterize your pool. If your temperature only drops to freezing for a couple of hours overnight, then you can run the pump to prevent the pipes from freezing. Many people winterize for the convenience of not having to tend the pool over the winter. A lot of new pool owners will hire a pool service to close the pool and watch the procedure so they will have an idea how to do it themselves.

If you leave the pool open, keep in mind that the SWCG is not going to produce chlorine when the water temp drops below 50 degrees.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

Re: winter shut down in TN

I would think that in southern TN, you would probably want to go ahead and winterize. Now would probably be a little early though.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT