Mesh pool fence.....

Feb 8, 2008
Milford, CT
Anyone purchase some of that mesh fencing to go around an inground pool?

Our chain link is old and ugly, and I would rather replace with something nicer than fix the ugliness :)

Aluminum fencing looks really nice, but alas is VERY expensive.....the mesh is cheaper, but I havent seen too many reviews (that didnt look like paid advertisements).

Anyone here got one? Opinions? And opinions on it vs aluminum?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

We have a mesh fence. Came with the house when we bought it rather than a choice but I have to say I'm very happy with it. Nice thing it is completely removable when we have a party to allow complete access.

instead of a fence around teh pool per-say, we ended up building a 3 foot tall fence across the backyard that blocks in the patio area and some grass so the kids can go out and play, but cant get into the pool w/o a parent out there.

we looked at the fencing and it just didnt seem like many of the ones out there would do as well as this fence does.

In my town, putting up a new fence mesh around an inground pool is considered putting up a new fence. You need a building permit and it MUST be to code. An inground pool MUST have a four foot fence with lockable gates.

Also new inground pools must have an approved(?) child alarm wired into it (I believe it is New York State law). Something the town tried to pass but failed was "no grandfather cause" on the four foot fence around an inground pool. They said the home owners' insurance policy would take care of that.

If I remember right, when I built the pool, Allstate said I had to have a 4 foot fence with lockable gates for coverage.

I spoke to our local building department, and they said the fence needs to be at least 4' in height and no opening can be large enough to fit a 4" sphere through. Mesh pretty much covers that :)

I would be getting a minimum 4' height fence, with at least one auto-closing gate (an alarm can be added, but Im not too worried about that for now).

Install is a little harder than I thought, with having to guess the "lean angles" the holes need to be drilled on, but I figure if I take my time I should be OK. Core drill rental isnt too expensive for a day, and hopefully I can knock it out in one day.

-Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.