Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mesh pool fence.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Mesh pool fence.....

Anyone purchase some of that mesh fencing to go around an inground pool?

Our chain link is old and ugly, and I would rather replace with something nicer than fix the ugliness

Aluminum fencing looks really nice, but alas is VERY expensive.....the mesh is cheaper, but I havent seen too many reviews (that didnt look like paid advertisements).

Anyone here got one? Opinions? And opinions on it vs aluminum?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

2. Back To Top    #2
    no idea about fencing, but Welcome to TFP!

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3
    We have a mesh fence. Came with the house when we bought it rather than a choice but I have to say I'm very happy with it. Nice thing it is completely removable when we have a party to allow complete access.
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

4. Back To Top    #4
    instead of a fence around teh pool per-say, we ended up building a 3 foot tall fence across the backyard that blocks in the patio area and some grass so the kids can go out and play, but cant get into the pool w/o a parent out there.

we looked at the fencing and it just didnt seem like many of the ones out there would do as well as this fence does.
    30,000gal In-ground Gunite Pool DE filter
    Polaris 380 APC

BBB method all the way - Newb, like to absorb info and chatter, but take the experts' advise

5. Back To Top    #5

In my town, putting up a new fence mesh around an inground pool is considered putting up a new fence. You need a building permit and it MUST be to code. An inground pool MUST have a four foot fence with lockable gates.

Also new inground pools must have an approved(?) child alarm wired into it (I believe it is New York State law). Something the town tried to pass but failed was "no grandfather cause" on the four foot fence around an inground pool. They said the home owners' insurance policy would take care of that.

If I remember right, when I built the pool, Allstate said I had to have a 4 foot fence with lockable gates for coverage.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I spoke to our local building department, and they said the fence needs to be at least 4' in height and no opening can be large enough to fit a 4" sphere through. Mesh pretty much covers that

I would be getting a minimum 4' height fence, with at least one auto-closing gate (an alarm can be added, but Im not too worried about that for now).

Install is a little harder than I thought, with having to guess the "lean angles" the holes need to be drilled on, but I figure if I take my time I should be OK. Core drill rental isnt too expensive for a day, and hopefully I can knock it out in one day.

-Chris
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell