closing pool for the first time

oasis1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Hi, this is our first year having a pool, we are going to have the pool store close it for us (we have a heater and have no idea how to winterize nor do i want to risk doing it wrong and ruining it!) They said they shock and add a strong algaecide....can i just get it to shock level myself and let them do the rest. I know the pool stores guide you wrong during the summer, i'm not sure if they do the same about closing them though. I haven't had to shock the pool all summer long!!! :-D The pH is at 7.8 so i'm adjusting that this weekend. From what I understand its best to wait to close pool until the weather really cools down....is that right? I don't want to close it too soon and open it next year to a big mess!! One more issue I'm having....our deck is around 1/2 the pool, what is the best way to put cover on? I'm assuming tarp cover is the only choice we have.

Thanks in advance!!

Hey oasis1.
Closing a pool is not as hard as you would think it to be.
Maybe the first time you will want to have a company come out and do it for you, and watch/ask questions so you know what to do next year.

Algaecide is optional. If you use it, Polyquat is what the forum will suggest.

Closing when the water is below 60 is recommended, algae, if present tends to grow slower in colder water.

I can't speak for the heat pump, since I do not own one, and have never closed one down. Maybe someone else can/will chime in on that.

There are a couple of articles in Pool School about winterizing your pool.
read through these and if you still have questions post back.
Closing an AGP
Closing an IGP

I have a Hayward heat pump on my pool and the on;y thing we do to the heat pump is turn off the power and drain all of the water out of the heat pump so we don't get any damage from freezing. As WestSide said, waiting till the water temp get below 60 degrees is a good idea and Polyquat is the recommended algeacide used here....already have mine on the way. As far as the pool cover goes, a solid cover with water bags on the deck side and weights on the other side seems like the way to go. You will also need a pillow to help the water run off. I would also watch and take notes when they close your pool and dont let them add anything to the water. Bring your pool up to shock level and add Polyquat yourself and you will be set.

Is it a bad idea not to add Polyquat? If we do put it in are we supposed to add it before we drain the water below the skimmer or after we drain?
Also, is it ok to get the chlorine above shock level (meaning shock should be 14 and I get it to 20?)

When the pool store does come to close, should they be using Anti freeze in the heater or anywhere else? I don't want to ruin anything!!!

Thanks!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't use it last year, and won't this year either. $30 for a bottle is a little like being pool stored to me, when chlorine did the trick before and will again I'm sure.

As long as the pool remained covered and no sun hit the water, it stayed perfectly clear. We had a few cover mishaps last winter and rainy cloudy days were never a problem, however we won't be doing that this year with a better cover plan. Even so, the cover we used had holes and rainwater did go into the pool, but the ports were open so it drained out as well. Still clear water under the cover. Had a week of no clouds in February and the cover had fallen in, algae bloomed. Shocked it and the cover, cleaned/vacuumed, and covered it again. It remained clear.

Not the same as an inground pool, I know. But the concept probably is. Water is water, the cover and chlorine works even if you don't use algaecide. I looked into trying it for this year and for the price of a bottle, I can buy a lot of chlorine and spend a day or even more shocking the pool should it need it.

Don't worry!

You can take your cl as high as the max on the cl v.s. cya chart - and even a little higher for closing with polyquat. :wink:

All you're trying to do is get a killing and sustained level of chlorine in the pool before you cover it for the winter. ... Then you leave it up to Ma Nature :lol:

I don't think anyone here is going to suggest that you let them do it, but it's your money and pool, and if you want to pay them whatever they want to charge, then have at it. Just don't blame us when it's costing you multi-hundreds of dollars a month for the convenience of not having to test and dose properly.

Bama Rambler said:
I don't think anyone here is going to suggest that you let them do it, but it's your money and pool, and if you want to pay them whatever they want to charge, then have at it. Just don't blame us when it's costing you multi-hundreds of dollars a month for the convenience of not having to test and dose properly.

Nice post, Dave! :goodjob: :cheers: :whoot: :party: :cool:

Bama Rambler said:

Why would I blame you? I'm just asking for opinions since this is our first year with the pool. And why would it cost multi-hundreds of dollars just from having them close it? FYI, I'm planning on getting the chlorine to shock level myself before they come and close it.
I think your post was a little harsh.

oasis1 said:
Why would I blame you?
I vote we blame Bama for everything :mrgreen:

I also vote for you to do you own chems at closing (sounds like you might be already planning to do it)...it's not hard, were here to help if you need it :goodjob:

If you do decide to have the ps do it, then ask the ahead of time what chems they will use and if they say anything other than Chlorine or Polyquat60 (the only algaecide recommended on this site) then I would skip it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.