Pentair Whisperflo Cracked Motor Mount - Cool Pictures!

May 3, 2011
PSL, FL
OK, the cool pictures thing was to cruise for readers!

But we do have PIX, just not sure how cool they are!

I took apart my Pentair Pump today to put in the gasket kit and I knew I had a hosed Seal Plate.

I didn't expect the motor mount to be screwed. The top pic, you can see where the mount broke(powdered) while taking the bolt out. I had to use vice grips to hold the mounting ferule that had long since broke out of the seal plate. I had the 2 on the bottom totally disintegrated as you can see on the seal plate. One of the motor mounts on the top is cracked. I didn't shoot a pic of it because I was crying too much!

It is a marathon motor. I have the screws that attach the mount mount soaking in Kroil Oil now.

So my question is, should I waste time soaking the mounter mount nutz in the hope I can get the Motor Mount and freshen up the brushes and commutator in the pump by my pump rebuilder.

Mainly a Motor Mount question.

http://www.turbonet.biz/misc/Pool/P1010790.JPG
http://www.turbonet.biz/misc/Pool/P1010791.JPG

p.s. I think the reason why all this happened is that this pump circumference is smaller than the OEM pump. That makes it where the pump does not sit on the support cradle like it should, it hangs. This caused the whole deal to be under stress and vibration.

carlscan26 said:
That stress and vibration could have caused your suction leak - cracked something somewhere. Can you rig up a support for the motor?

I don't think so, but perhaps

The Volute of the pump is bolted down. 3 of the 4 ferrules were broken in the seal plate. It was truly amazing that the motor/impeller had not shucked itself. You could move the tail of the motor quite a bit in the vertical and horizontal planes.

I thought I would get it fixed today and the motor bounds just crumbled.

When I replaced my motor last year, I wasn't careful enough and ordered the wrong size motor... electrically it was correct, but the housing was too small. Fortunately, the rubber shim shown in the picture was included so that the motor is properly supported instead of hanging over the mount. Don't know exactly what it's called, but maybe this helps...

2yoy2dv.jpg

Thanx for the PIC. On the parts breakdown there is an almond insert and a black insert. I couldn't find anything about which to choose. But it seems that the almond may be for the Pentairs, and the black for all the other black pumps out there, like mine and yours. I need to find something appropriate to pad it with.

There was a topic a few days ago about where a guy replaced one frame size motor with a different one and found out that they make two different mounts so either motor can be used. They may have gotten the wrong mount for your motor.

OK,

So after hitting a few motor repair places,nobody has the Square Flange mount for replacement for this Marathon Electric motor. The company also does not sell parts for it.

I need to replace the motor.

I have a 12,000 gal pool. It has 4 returns and a waterfall gadget. Has 1 skimmer, 2 drains, and a separate cleaner suction line. A pentair 36 sq ' DE filter

I am looking to add solar in the near future, perhaps 8-10 48 sq ' panels requiring 5 gpm. I will probably do an Intelliflo VF around then also.

But in the meantime, I would like a motor that would so this in the short term and to keep as a spare.

The current motor is a 1 HP and a SF of 1.25.

What would happen it I put a 1 1/2 motor with a 1.47 SF in here with the same impeller? Or with the correct impeller?

Would it hurt anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
As long as the motor is larger than the impeller is rated for you're fine. However, going with a larger motor without changing the impeller gets you nothing.

I guess they spin their RPM and that's it?

But I would have the option of going to a 1.5HP impeller and a 2HP impeller, is that correct?

Would longevity be better or on the bigger motor?

The motor should be matched to the impeller or slightly larger. If the motor is too big, then it is not running in the best efficiency range of its head curve. If the motor is too small, it will be overloaded and will fail prematurely.

It takes a while to pick up the "Motor Lingo" hype stuff.

So I think I'll look at the Impellers that come with various combos at Pentair.

I have a 1HP/1.25SF currently and it is not original.
I may look at 1HP/1.65SF

I'll see what impellers that come with these. Is it possible they use the same impeller?

These are both offered from Pentair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.