Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: only 7-8 weeks on pool light gasket - can I reuse?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lake Forest, CA

only 7-8 weeks on pool light gasket - can I reuse?

Long story short...I replaced my pool light bulb and gasket about 2 months ago, and it looks like I'm going to need to replace the bulb again. After such a short period of time, can I keep the same gasket (provided it looks OK upon inspection)?

12000 gal IG pool/spa combo,60 sq ft Jandy DEL filter,2 hp Jandy Stealth pump,Jandy LX400 400K BTU gas heater,Pentair Rainbow 300 off-line feeder (never gets used),Jandy Aqualink RS4 with PDA remote,3 Jandy 12" sheer descent waterfall features, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: only 7-8 weeks on pool light gasket - can I reuse?

I would NOT. I would replace it.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Coastalish 'down easter'

While I hold Scott in great esteem, I humbly disagree on this one

You can try the old gasket and then submerge the light for a minute and see if any water enters it. I've replaced bulbs in units that were over 7 years old and not had a problem with the gasket
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Silicon Valley, CA

I too have re-used a gasket. About a thirty day old one, and its still holding. Easy way to tell if your gasket is no longer of use, is to hold the fixture under water and have someone(owner) turn it on and watch as the fixture warms up, the pressure will force it's way out anywhere the seal is weak. This is also good for checking questionable light cord grommets on the fixture. Course once the light cools, seal leaks again only this time its sucking water back into the fixture.

Ted, I've never seen water actually enter the fixture This must be what you meant. Pardon if i doubled.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.