Can't get DE filter to prime after cleaning it

Aug 27, 2011
Hi! I am very new to taking care of a pool, so please forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I am doing....because I don't.

I was in the hospital and when I got home my pool is completely green. I vacuumed to waste and then lost suction. I cleaned out the filter basket and then could not get it to re-prime. I then cleaned the DE filter (it was filthy....covered in algae and DE). I still can not get the pump to re-prime. When, the filter is off tons of air is coming out. When I turn the filter on, it takes a while and then a slow stream of water comes out. Also the skimmer basket does not stay full of water. It stays about 1/2-2/3 full but there do not appear to be any leaks around it.

What position should the pool returns be in?

What about the skimmers? I read that they should be closed when trying to re-prime.

What about the main drain?

Do you have any suggestions of other things that I should check for?

Thank you!

Hi, welcome to TFP! Check that the skimmer basket in the pool skimmer is empty. Is the water level in the pool at least 1/2 way up the skimmer opening? If the water level is low the pump may not prime very well. Remove the lid from the pump strainer pot. Use a cup and fill the pot with water, then put the lid back on. Also, open the air bleeder on top of the DE filter before turning the pump on. Allow the filter to fill with water, then close the bleeder when a stream of water shoots out. If this does not help, post a couple of pictures of the problem and we'll see if we can figure out what is wrong.

Thank you so much for your help.

I will go check the simmer baskets again. I did the other day when I was working on this but it was before I cleaned the DE filter.

The water is high actually. I want to drain it before we get hit with this hurricane. It is draining very slow though. Does that sound like maybe something is clogged somewhere? How can I check for that?

I have filled the pot with water and it then drains down to about 2/3-1/2 full....yet it not leaking at least what I can see.

I am going to go do what you suggested now.

Ok, the skimmer baskets were all clear. The air was all out before I turned the filter back on and now more air is coming out of the filter. I have a small steady stream of water dribbling out but nothing like it is normally shooting out. I can see the air in the pump basket.

Also the hot tub return and pool return are shooting out bubbles.

Thanks again

I'd say it's probably only a foot higher than the pool water. My pool is an inground pool and the pump is about 20 feet from the pool on the ground.

I have cleaned out the basket before but this never happened.

I almost had it today and then it basically just stopped gurgling at all. I shut it off and had to come inside due to the hurricane.

It sounds like you have developed a suction side leak. Somewhere between the impeller and the skimmer, you are sucking air into the system and it won't prime. If you find that leak, the pump will prime and all will be well.

The most common places to look are the pump basket lid and o-ring, pump drain plugs, and any union or joint or valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.