AGP may overflow due to hurricane...what can I do ?

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Just wondering. I read in another thread someone said to drill a hole and run a hose somewhere but thats not an option now. Pool is filled and hurricane hits tonight !
Can I set my Heyward filter S244T on "waste" and it will just flow out of the filter ? (my filter will remain off)

AnnaK said:
AGPs are self-draining in a way in that they'll overflow at the skimmer first. Remove the skimmer plate.
What about if I just run a hose from my skimmer to the back of my yard ? or couldn't I just leave my filter on "waste" and it will automatically drain ?
No one answered that...sorry if thats an obvious question

If you set the filter to waste but NOT run the pump the pool will gravity drain to below the skimmer. Just be sure to get enough water back in before you turn the pump on.

I've decided to let it drain at the skimmer via plain old overflow. If, indeed, we do get 12" of rain I'll pull on the Wellies and the slicker and run the pump to waste for a little while. Thought about just putting in a garden hose as siphon but that is just not going to take out enough water fast enough IF we get the predicted 12".

So, in effect, I'm doing nothing. I'll wait and see.

Are there really any risks to having a pool overflow...It has happened to me without any negative consequences I can see. I would think it be best to leave as much water in as possible if you are going to get high wind.

If you have bare dirt around the bottom of an above ground pool then there is a chance of some sand cove wash out. If you have put pavers or other hardscape around the base it will deflect the force of the water so it doesn't erode the ground beneath. Its kind of the same as having gutters on your roof, without them the force of the water running off the roof from heavy rains will erode the ground beneath.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
zea3 said:
If you have bare dirt around the bottom of an above ground pool then there is a chance of some sand cove wash out. If you have put pavers or other hardscape around the base it will deflect the force of the water so it doesn't erode the ground beneath. Its kind of the same as having gutters on your roof, without them the force of the water running off the roof from heavy rains will erode the ground beneath.
Good points, I was thinking of hardscapes as being the norm. For agp with a skimmer, a quick way to protect would be to have rock just under that area so when it overflows it hits the rock and doesn't erode, though you would still need decent channeling of the water away from the area. I have heard people mentioning water behind liner...this makes not sense to me...am I missing something?

i have bare dirt by the skimmer. This is a new pool install. I am going to run a hose from the waste port to the back of my house and leave the filter OFF.
If it drains below the skimmer so what ? I have great water pressure here. I can get it back above the skimmer within a couple hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.