Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: After adding bleach, how long to run filter ?

1. Back To Top    #1

After adding bleach, how long to run filter ?

I am doing the BBB method. After adding bleach---how long should I run filter ?
    I cant run it 24 hours due to dedicated electric not set up yet. Pool guy told me I need to run it 24 hours or it could bleach skin. I could run it 4-5 hours on 1/2 hp
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: After adding bleach, how long to run filter ?

Run the pump for at least an hour after adding chemicals to make sure the chemicals are throughly mixed in.

There are other occasions when it is important to run the pump for longer, but none of them appear in anything you mentioned. For example you run the pump for 24 hours after adding salt. You also need some minimum pump run time based on the relative size of your pump and your pool to get enough filtration, but that is rarely anywhere near as long as 24 hours a day.

If you tell us more about your situation, we can tell you more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Do the world a favor and point your "pool guy" to this website!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Run the pump for at least an hour after adding chemicals to make sure the chemicals are throughly mixed in.

There are other occasions when it is important to run the pump for longer, but none of them appear in anything you mentioned. For example you run the pump for 24 hours after adding salt. You also need some minimum pump run time based on the relative size of your pump and your pool to get enough filtration, but that is rarely anywhere near as long as 24 hours a day.

If you tell us more about your situation, we can tell you more.
    My situation is just putting bleach in the pool. My pool installer worried me a bit when he said I have to run the filter for 24 hours after putting bleach in
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gdog2004
    My situation is just putting bleach in the pool. My pool installer worried me a bit when he said I have to run the filter for 24 hours after putting bleach in
    No need to run for 24 hours. Add the bleach slowly into the return stream to allow for good distribution and then allow the pump to go for about 1 hour more and you're good.

You should maintain about 40 to 50 ppm of cyanuric acid in the water to help keep the FC loss rate down.