Filter pressure a direct relationship to filtration time?

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
SAND Filter pressure a direct relationship to SAND filtration time?

If when I turn my cleaner on, and the SAND filter pressure drops 50%, is it correct to assume that the amount of SAND filtration is reduced by 50%, and so to achieve the same amount of SAND filtration, I need to increase the pump Run-Time by 50% ( to achieve the ideal daily “SAND filter/turnover” time)?

Thanks

Re: Filter pressure a direct relationship to filtration time

No, there isn't any direct relationship like that one. That is a reasonable rough guess, but the actual relationship is far more complex and could be very different than that. The best way to determine the best filter run time is empirically, ie try it and see what happens. My guess is that you won't need to increase the pump run time by nearly that much, but the only way to know is to try it.

[edit] I wasn't thinking about the pressure for the cleaner branching off before the filter. Back to your regularily scheduled program

[s:1bp0wixc]You're attaching a pressure side cleaner and your filter pressure drops? :scratch: Unless you normally have one very small eyeball your pressure should actually go up.[/s:1bp0wixc]

Regardless, Jason already answered your question.

Thanks guys. FWIW, my cleaner bypasses the sand filter & has its own plastic jar with a filter in it (& its own pressure gauge), so the qty of water going into the SAND filter is less and that drops the pressure in the SAND filter.

Am I correct that the “quality” of filtration by my cleaner’s filter is inferior to that of my SAND filter? If I’m wrong or just splitting hairs, then I won't need to alter the pump RunTime at all, or as Jason implied, certainly not add 50% to the RunTime.

I edited my original post to read more clearly.

The small jar filter on that kind of pressure side cleaner is no where near as good as the sand filter. It is designed to catch things large enough that they won't get through the drive vanes of the cleaner, which is a much larger size than what a sand filter catches.

I edited my original post to read more clearly for BAMA.

Thanks once again. Last question, promise.
The ideal “at least one Turnover per day” means one Turnover through my sand filter, right? (I realize there are other reasons for one Turnover per day, but for this discussion)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.