I bought a new pump - but don't I still need the skimmer?

Aug 19, 2011
Joplin MO
My kids (daughter & son-n-law) bought this pool about a month ago. Of course the cartridge filter that came with it was the pits, so I bought them the Intex 2650 sand filter/pump.
An over the side skimmer is what came with the pool, it just doesn't attach to the new intake (where the water is pulled from the pool) that came with the 2650. Could we go back to old one? Don't we still need a skimmer for bugs etc, on top of the water??
I've read where many people have made this filter/pump switch but I can't find mention of the skimmer.
I hope ya'll can grasp what I'm talking about, I'm not really familiar with the pool terms yet.

Thanks ~Teresa

Re: I bought a new pump - but don't I still need the skimmer

Those skimmers catch a few things, but in all honesty they have performed marginally at the very best for me. You can absolutely run fine without it, and have a lot less hassle not having to fiddle with it all the time. I have tried using them off and on for years and dis-connected it every time. They are always in the way, constantly need re-adjusting for height and level etc. I would even make the argument that you do the pool water more good having it off and filtering the water of suspended solids because those skimmers miss about 80 percent of what floats anyway. It will in no way harm the filter or anything like that. Not having it installed means you'll have to do a little manual skimming of the water with a leaf net/skimmer. You can get more done that way in five minutes than the skimmer will do all day. This has been my experience anyway.

Welcome to TFP! If you have other questions about your pool, there are lots of friendly people around to help. Glad you stopped by.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.