pump not working/ No water flow

smitt

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2011
I have a salt water pool and had some leaves in the basket, So I opened it up and cleaned. After I put it back on and started the pump, there was no water flowing to the cell. When I turn the system off the basket fills with water, and when I turn the system off the water in the basket goes down and there is no water flow. I do not know what I did wrong. I would really appreciate any help. Right now my pool is a mess and I dont know anything about it. 2 days back I had a service code 172 and 186, and for that I have to change the sensor. Today the pool store told me I have phosphates in the pool and they wanted me to add phosphate remover in the pool and clean the cartridge. I decided to wait on that till I get some info here. And this evening I cleaned the basket and there is no flow to the system now. I would really appreciate all the help. Please.
Thank You.
Here is the picture of the basket that I am talking about. It had some leaves in it, so I cleaned it.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 95
smitt said:
When I turn the system off the basket fills with water, and when I turn the system off the water in the basket goes down and there is no water flow.
Sounds like it might be a blockage on the suction side. Check you skimmer for obstructions, also with the basket out feel the pipe oriface towards the skimmer in the leaf basket canister.

smitt said:
Today the pool store told me I have phosphates in the pool and they wanted me to add phosphate remover in the pool and clean the cartridge. I decided to wait on that till I get some info here.
I wouldn't add phosphate remover. You primary problem is no flow right now. For most pools phosphate remover is like snake oil.

smitt said:
And this evening I cleaned the basket and there is no flow to the system now.
When you say no flow, is that what the swg is telling you, or is there no flow coming out your returns in the pool? Was there flow before you cleaned the basket? What is your pressure gauge on the filter reading when your pump is on?

The pressure gauge on the filter reads 0. It read 10+ before I cleaned the strainer basket.
Now there is no water flowing through the strainer basket and the pool returns. It was flowing before I cleaned the strainer basket. I checked and Did not see any obstruction.
Thank You Linen for your response

Don't worry about the phosphates. Read Pool School and learn to maintain the proper levels and you'll never have an issue. Phosphates are just the new pool store excuse to sell you something you don't need hype.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.