Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump not working/ No water flow

1. Back To Top    #1

pump not working/ No water flow

I have a salt water pool and had some leaves in the basket, So I opened it up and cleaned. After I put it back on and started the pump, there was no water flowing to the cell. When I turn the system off the basket fills with water, and when I turn the system off the water in the basket goes down and there is no water flow. I do not know what I did wrong. I would really appreciate any help. Right now my pool is a mess and I dont know anything about it. 2 days back I had a service code 172 and 186, and for that I have to change the sensor. Today the pool store told me I have phosphates in the pool and they wanted me to add phosphate remover in the pool and clean the cartridge. I decided to wait on that till I get some info here. And this evening I cleaned the basket and there is no flow to the system now. I would really appreciate all the help. Please.
    Thank You.
    Here is the picture of the basket that I am talking about. It had some leaves in it, so I cleaned it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump not working/ No water flow

Quote Originally Posted by smitt
    When I turn the system off the basket fills with water, and when I turn the system off the water in the basket goes down and there is no water flow.
    Sounds like it might be a blockage on the suction side. Check you skimmer for obstructions, also with the basket out feel the pipe oriface towards the skimmer in the leaf basket canister.

Today the pool store told me I have phosphates in the pool and they wanted me to add phosphate remover in the pool and clean the cartridge. I decided to wait on that till I get some info here.
    I wouldn't add phosphate remover. You primary problem is no flow right now. For most pools phosphate remover is like snake oil.

And this evening I cleaned the basket and there is no flow to the system now.
    When you say no flow, is that what the swg is telling you, or is there no flow coming out your returns in the pool? Was there flow before you cleaned the basket? What is your pressure gauge on the filter reading when your pump is on?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

The pressure gauge on the filter reads 0. It read 10+ before I cleaned the strainer basket.
    Now there is no water flowing through the strainer basket and the pool returns. It was flowing before I cleaned the strainer basket. I checked and Did not see any obstruction.
    Thank You Linen for your response

4. Back To Top    #4

It may be possible it has a vacuum lock of an air pocket and doesn't want to prime the pump.
    Try cracking the lid open when the pump is on and see if any air get displaced and primes with water.
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

5. Back To Top    #5

Got the pump primed, just let it run for few minutes and it primed by itself.
    What should I do with the phosphates in the pool?
    Thanks all

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't worry about the phosphates. Read Pool School and learn to maintain the proper levels and you'll never have an issue. Phosphates are just the new pool store excuse to sell you something you don't need hype.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit