Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my pool dirtier than yours?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my pool dirtier than yours?

Seems like every time I lift the cover it looks like someones dumped dirt all in my pool... We actually don't swim in it as much as I'd like but when it's not in use the solar cover is on. We get a lot of pine needles but they don't 'mush' up too much to be causing all of this dirt. I vacuum it about once a week.... gettin a few pictures right now..

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my pool dirtier than yours?

I did make the mistake of letting the kids play in the pool AS it was filling ... I had the base perfect! Now there are tonnes of little foot prints in the liner that collect dirt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (6.5 KB, 211 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (3.3 KB, 211 views)

3. Back To Top    #3

this is what i clean with..

And one of the pool in full use!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (31.4 KB, 209 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (24.6 KB, 209 views)

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't feel bad! I swear someone throws dirt in mine too! Mostly I think it is dust in the air/wind that gets caught in the water.

5. Back To Top    #5

When I get in there with a mask on it really is a lot of dirt/dust. When i start to clean it seems like it's all getting cleaned up, but obviously not.

6. Back To Top    #6

Dimples and wrinkles make the dirt easy to locate :~}

The air drops tons of dirt into my pool and I battled it a lot this year. A decent filter media has improved it considerably but I hate the cleaning schedule with them. Your pool is obviously not an Intex (no fake tiles) so my solution won't work for you.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

7. Back To Top    #7

Not an intex - thanks anyway

8. Back To Top    #8

You guys should come to West Texas if you want to see some dirt getting into the pool. I vaccuum constantly, and the wind loves putting it back. Hyabusa, I can't tell if you have one, but if you make the swimmers step into a tub or something similar filled with water before entering the pool, it helps tremendously. The member above (Frogabog) uses a little kiddie pool for this and it is a much better Idea than mine. Same principal, but I think the kiddie pool is the best foot rinse tub out there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Brush - I'm not sure thats the source... the kids wear shoes right up to the ladder. I was hoping that I was just used to indoor pools which obviously don't have junk falling in them all day. never really noticed the public outdoor pool down the road looking like this though

10. Back To Top    #10

Dirt can find its way in amazing fast in surprising amounts. I just noticed something......is that your cover on the ground next to the pool? Even little bits of sand can stick to it and drop right in when you replace it. It all adds up. There is dirt in that public pool, you just cant notice it as easily.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes it is on the ground - It's so big I cant see any other option for it....