Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Question

So the builder installed a 1hp 2 speed Sta-rite super pump instead of the 1 1/2 hp that was in the plans and I wanted.. This obviously upset me when I caught it today. I called and they said well he installed it because he felt the 1hp was enough for your pool and it would save you money. So my question is should I have them replace the 1hp to the 1 1/2 hp or should I keep it. The principle of the matter makes me want to change it to what I ordered. Is the 1 1/2 to much for my pool and system. I have a waterfall, bubbler and a 53' Sta Rite DE Filter for approx. 11000 gallons or a little bigger better.

Your opinions are wanted...let me know...thanks.
    15x30 free form (10,500 gal) SWG
    Gunite, Game depth 3.5-5-4 ft, 1 hp Sta-Rite Super Max 2 speed pump, 53' Sta-Rite system 3 DE filter
    Pentair Intellibrite LED
    Pentair 125k BTU ultra temp heat pump,
    Screen Enclosure
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Question

In most cases a smaller pump is better. You only want the larger pump if you have a spa or waterfall or other water feature that requires the extra HP. For normal water circulation you want the smallest pump that will work in order to save money on electricity. Larger pumps use more electricity to move the same amount of water compared to a smaller pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    In most cases a smaller pump is better. You only want the larger pump if you have a spa or waterfall or other water feature that requires the extra HP. For normal water circulation you want the smallest pump that will work in order to save money on electricity. Larger pumps use more electricity to move the same amount of water compared to a smaller pump.
    So since I have a waterfall (2' sheer descent) and a bubbler should I go with the 1 1/2 like I planned?
    Gunite, Game depth 3.5-5-4 ft, 1 hp Sta-Rite Super Max 2 speed pump, 53' Sta-Rite system 3 DE filter
    Pentair Intellibrite LED
    Screen Enclosure
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with Jason, I have about the same size pool as you (though mine is an agp). I have a 1 hp 2 speed and only use the high speed when I am circulating through my solar panels 16 feet above the pump. For everything else the full speed is overkill. I think the pb is actually being smart, though he probably should have discussed it with you first.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

What I would suggest is to try the pump running the waterfall and see if it supplies enough water. If it does then you'll be better off staying with the 1 hp. I'd have it understood that if the waterfall didn't have enough flow he'd be responsible for replacing the pump. Also don't be fooled by hp. Some 1 hp pumps have a higher flow then some 1½ hp pumps so don't get stuck by the numbers.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    What I would suggest is to try the pump running the waterfall and see if it supplies enough water. If it does then you'll be better off staying with the 1 hp. I'd have it understood that if the waterfall didn't have enough flow he'd be responsible for replacing the pump. Also don't be fooled by hp. Some 1 hp pumps have a higher flow then some 1½ hp pumps so don't get stuck by the numbers.
    Thanks Bama.....everything flowed exceptionally well......keeping the 1hp !!!!
    Pentair Intellibrite LED
    Screen Enclosure
    TF-100 Test Kit