Opinions desired - pros and cons between pumps...

May 10, 2009
Youngsville NC
Ok - So I've been a pool owner since I bought this house in 1995. never really put too much thought into "pool pump" until this summer, when we had a 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump quit on us on June 26.

When we moved in, there was a "pre-Jacuzzi" hydro-therapy tub with jets. This really didn't work too well and we didn't use it, and when we did a bathroom remodel in 1997, we completely took that tub out. However, I did salvage the pump - a Hayward PowerFlo II 3/4 HP (no strainer assembly). It basically sat in storage until June 27, when I decided to see if it could keep the water going while we decided on a course of action. To those of you regulars - no surprise it worked pretty well, even if I did run it 24/7 when I had run the SuperPump 12 on/12 off.

We did get around to ordering the Pentair SuperFlo High Effeincy 1.5 HP in my sig. It was chosen because it was a "drop in" replacement for the Super Pump. I was also in a bit of a hurry to order, and so I may not have considered all options. I don't have any complaints about the SuperFlo. I've been running the SuperFlo about 8 hours per /day plus whenever I'm swimming. If I had done some serious reading here before ordering this pump - I might have gotten the 1 HP 2 speed model instead - I may consider that idea if/when this motor gives out.

I had considered the idea of getting a replacement motor and a few missing parts for the SuperPump, but rejected that because for the same money - I got a completely new pump.

After ordering, and doing reading on here, I came to the conclusion that perhaps all I really needed to do for this summer was to find/order / and install the Strainer assembly (Part SP1516).

So - the quandry - I have 2 working pumps (one with no strainer), along with the carcass of the SuperPump.

What would be the merits of getting the strainer and using it instead ?
Or should I just keep the PowerFlo II (with or without the strainer assembly) available as a "backup" pump ?
Is it worth rebuilding the SuperPump and maybe try selling it for the parts I put into it ? Or possibly keep this as the backup. instead (after suitable rebuild) ?

If I do go for a 2 speed model, I'll also need to get new automation, or maybe get one of those pumps with their own timer

It depends on what your goals are. If you are trying to save money and don't live in an area of the country with very high electric rates, then it is usually best to just leave things alone and look into possibly lowering your pump run time further. Replacing a working pump is rarely worth the expense on purely economic grounds.

That was pretty much my conclusion - just wanted a sanity check.

So I'll just run the Superflo , and when money is a bit more available - get the strainer assembly for the Powerflo (keeping it in reserve).

I'll probably just pitch the Superpump carcass as beyond economical repair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.