Ok - So I've been a pool owner since I bought this house in 1995. never really put too much thought into "pool pump" until this summer, when we had a 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump quit on us on June 26.
When we moved in, there was a "pre-Jacuzzi" hydro-therapy tub with jets. This really didn't work too well and we didn't use it, and when we did a bathroom remodel in 1997, we completely took that tub out. However, I did salvage the pump - a Hayward PowerFlo II 3/4 HP (no strainer assembly). It basically sat in storage until June 27, when I decided to see if it could keep the water going while we decided on a course of action. To those of you regulars - no surprise it worked pretty well, even if I did run it 24/7 when I had run the SuperPump 12 on/12 off.
We did get around to ordering the Pentair SuperFlo High Effeincy 1.5 HP in my sig. It was chosen because it was a "drop in" replacement for the Super Pump. I was also in a bit of a hurry to order, and so I may not have considered all options. I don't have any complaints about the SuperFlo. I've been running the SuperFlo about 8 hours per /day plus whenever I'm swimming. If I had done some serious reading here before ordering this pump - I might have gotten the 1 HP 2 speed model instead - I may consider that idea if/when this motor gives out.
I had considered the idea of getting a replacement motor and a few missing parts for the SuperPump, but rejected that because for the same money - I got a completely new pump.
After ordering, and doing reading on here, I came to the conclusion that perhaps all I really needed to do for this summer was to find/order / and install the Strainer assembly (Part SP1516).
So - the quandry - I have 2 working pumps (one with no strainer), along with the carcass of the SuperPump.
What would be the merits of getting the strainer and using it instead ?
Or should I just keep the PowerFlo II (with or without the strainer assembly) available as a "backup" pump ?
Is it worth rebuilding the SuperPump and maybe try selling it for the parts I put into it ? Or possibly keep this as the backup. instead (after suitable rebuild) ?
If I do go for a 2 speed model, I'll also need to get new automation, or maybe get one of those pumps with their own timer