Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Motor to pool bonding wire ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Motor to pool bonding wire ?

I bonded a #6gauge solid wire from my motor to one of the pool wall bolts' where the wall bolts together...Can this wire be buried or installed inside of some flexible pvc or should i use solid wire with a coating...I just have it running from the pool back across the ground to the motor...We fixing to put some stones around the pool and use small rocks or some type of mulch ..thanks
    24' x 52" Round AGP Volts:115 Amps:9.5 Hz:60 HP:1.5 SPL PH:1 Max Load Amps:10.2 RPM:3450 SF:1.0 ENCL:DP FR:48 Insul Class:F AMB:40Deg's C Time Rating:Cont

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Motor to pool bonding wire ?

Can be buried, should be at least 6" deep, that's what I read on the subject when I installed mine.
    Is it me or would putting in conduit defeat the purpose? I could be wrong on that though.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi:

My first Post.

We have an inground indoor and the thick guage copper wire connects the SSC handrails, diveboard supports, underwater SAM light, heater, and metal conduit around the switches and ozone generator to the pump. It is uncoated bare wire and it is entombed under the concrete patio, under the styrofoam insulation supporting the PEX in-floor tubing. It rests on the sand under everything. The pool and all hardware was installed professionally. Sorry, but I don't know the guage thickness.

-For what it's worth.

Jim (Pickinator)
    Eagle River Wisconsin
    The Pic
    Eagle River Wisconsin

Infinity Pool: Indoor inground 16 X 40 (9ft deep) 40,000 gallons, StaRite 400 heater and cartridge, filter, SAM light, 6' diving board Infinity Spa: 475 gallon, 28X60 poolhouse, Tigershark

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine is just laying on the ground right now...We getting some stones to put around pool and then putting some kind of rocks or something on the ground between the wall and stones....
    24' x 52" Round AGP Volts:115 Amps:9.5 Hz:60 HP:1.5 SPL PH:1 Max Load Amps:10.2 RPM:3450 SF:1.0 ENCL:DP FR:48 Insul Class:F AMB:40Deg's C Time Rating:Cont

5. Back To Top    #5

It's fine to bury as is. You should bury it a few inches to keep it from getting mangled up if someone decides to put flowers in or something.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Alot!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

The wire should be bare and connected to ANYTHING metal in your pool like handrails, ladders, etc. as well as the pool walls.

It should not be insulated in any way as the idea is for it to stay in contact with ground.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Onlything metal is the pool wall, top and bottom rails, and top braces...I ran a #6 bare copper from motor to 1 of the bolts where the wall bolts together...

9. Back To Top    #9

"It should not be insulated in any way as the idea is for it to stay in contact with ground."
    It is not grounding the metal as an electrical system is grounded, it is creating a means for all metal parts to be of equal potential relative to one another , not to the ground/earth (bonding not grounding). Some areas require a water bond as well (a metal fitting with a bonding lug, that is connected into the filter system).
    25,000 gallon
    16' x32' Rectangle IG, Vinyl liner
    DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by bob22
    "It should not be insulated in any way as the idea is for it to stay in contact with ground."
    It is not grounding the metal as an electrical system is grounded, it is creating a means for all metal parts to be of equal potential relative to one another , not to the ground/earth (bonding not grounding). Some areas require a water bond as well (a metal fitting with a bonding lug, that is connected into the filter system).
    +1

Like in a car system, not so much a ground, but a common.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.