Moving a Sand Filter

Jul 1, 2011
NJ
I have a small sand filter so I was thinking about keeping it in the shed during the winter. Being on the east coast with this hurricane coming in 2 days pushes this urge up to "I need to do this!" level. It is an Intex model. The pump and SWG are already drained and in the shed, but what is the best way to get the filter there without damaging it? Should I handtruck it over before I drain it? What is this I've read about using antifreeze? I've also seen recommendations to blow the filter out - can I use my compressor? One last question...when filling the filter with sand I needed to add water to take weight off the laterals, but I can drain all the water out without worry about damaging them?

Thanks, everyone!

For winterization, I just drain the water from my filter and take of the multiport valve, then cover the whole with plastic. I do not move it. Since you have this storm coming, and since it is small, I would think a hand truck and trying not to jostle it much should work. I wouldn't roll.

Edit: fixed my typo

I've moved my 300lb filters twice without issue using a hand truck. Drain it for a few days and strap it to the truck with a ratchet strap. A piece of plywood underneath helps because the stand doesn't have a bottom.

I would worry about damaging the valve on the inside of the tank if I were to move my sand filter. Tilting the tank may cause the sand to shift and damage those parts. If it were me, I would remove the plug from the filter and let it drain as long as possible. I would then cover the filter with a moving blanket and a tarp and wrap it all up nice and tight and leave it sit. If you really feel the need to move the tank, I seem to recall that the tank is just sitting on the stand and the stand has no real top or bottom, it's just a ring. If you can get a piece of plywood under the tank like John mentioned and slide it along that might work. Good Luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.