Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Moving a Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Moving a Sand Filter

I have a small sand filter so I was thinking about keeping it in the shed during the winter. Being on the east coast with this hurricane coming in 2 days pushes this urge up to "I need to do this!" level. It is an Intex model. The pump and SWG are already drained and in the shed, but what is the best way to get the filter there without damaging it? Should I handtruck it over before I drain it? What is this I've read about using antifreeze? I've also seen recommendations to blow the filter out - can I use my compressor? One last question...when filling the filter with sand I needed to add water to take weight off the laterals, but I can drain all the water out without worry about damaging them?

Thanks, everyone!
    Intex 15x36 Easy Set (2,800 g.)
    Intex 16" 2650 gph sand filter/pump combo & SWCG
    Intex 800 gph filter just for the surface skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Moving a Sand Filter

For winterization, I just drain the water from my filter and take of the multiport valve, then cover the whole with plastic. I do not move it. Since you have this storm coming, and since it is small, I would think a hand truck and trying not to jostle it much should work. I wouldn't roll.

Edit: fixed my typo
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I will be moving my sand filter to the garage for the winter. I intend to remove the sand first. I am assuming this will be ok? It's an intex one, so would it be ok just to remove the sand with a cup or scoop and reuse the sand next year. Thanks.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I was thinking about that too, GreatCanadian. Mostly because of the weight of the sand, but I'm not sure.
    Intex 15x36 Easy Set (2,800 g.)
    Intex 16" 2650 gph sand filter/pump combo & SWCG
    Intex 800 gph filter just for the surface skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm assuming this would be fine, as it's a process that would have to be followed if I were intending to REPLACE the sand at some point. I'm just afraid to leave the thing outside in our Newfoundland winter.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I've moved my 300lb filters twice without issue using a hand truck. Drain it for a few days and strap it to the truck with a ratchet strap. A piece of plywood underneath helps because the stand doesn't have a bottom.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

I would worry about damaging the valve on the inside of the tank if I were to move my sand filter. Tilting the tank may cause the sand to shift and damage those parts. If it were me, I would remove the plug from the filter and let it drain as long as possible. I would then cover the filter with a moving blanket and a tarp and wrap it all up nice and tight and leave it sit. If you really feel the need to move the tank, I seem to recall that the tank is just sitting on the stand and the stand has no real top or bottom, it's just a ring. If you can get a piece of plywood under the tank like John mentioned and slide it along that might work. Good Luck!
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits