Attn: East Coasters in Irene's path

PoolGuyNJ

TFP Expert
May 20, 2007
South Central NJ
Public service message:

Do not cover your pool. It could blow away. This includes those with automatic covers. Unless your pool and it's equipment are on your homeowners, the repair is on you.

Boost your chlorine level to 10X the proper level shortly before it hits. 6% Bleach like Clorox or Great Value is best.

Turn off the system at the main panel's breaker to the sub-panel outside. before power goes out or you get a spike when another area goes off line, This will preserve your pumps and automation systems until power is reliable again.

Secure patio sets. Those with gunite pools might be able to pull the cushions off and set the chairs in the pool. They won't go anywhere. Obviously, don't do this with wrought iron type furniture. :-/

Turn tables upside down. They won't catch much wind that way.

Secure the shed.

Don't put things where they can fly. 100 MPH winds are no joke!

Neither I nor TFP assume any liability for incompleteness but felt compelled to do something.

Scott

After living through Hurricane Ike (a strong category 2 hurricane) a few years ago, before we built our pool, if Irene hits with 100+ mph winds you can assume widespread power outages (unless the main lines and lines to your home are all buried). Trees will fall and knock down the power lines and the damage may be so widespread it will take a long time to repair the lines.

Stock up on clorox if you have a SWCG. We were without power for 10 days after Ike and many parts of Houston were without power for 3 weeks--and we are more accustomed to hurricanes than New England and the upper mid-Atlantic states.

Of course, make sure you have batteries, flashlights, food, ice, full tank of gas, etc. Another good tip if you live near sea level and if you are able to do it, is to move your furniture or other valuables to higher ground. Unless you have flood insurance, your basic homeowner's insurance policy may not cover a loss from rising water--but it probably covers a loss from wind damage.

And it should go without saying that if the hurricane is a Cat-3 or higher and it's headed right for you then you should probably evacuate to a safe place.

Thank you so much for the safety tips, thoughts, and prayers. I was going to leave the solar cover on the pool but now I will definitely take it off and secure it. My area is under a tropical storm watch but I'm not taking any chances. Will keep you posted on how things progress here; I'm definitely quite nervous.

Jan

Yes, we are riding it out; no recommendation has come for us to evacuate. We are in East Hartford and are in the higher areas away from the river, but I'm concerned for a friend in Fairfield county. Sending wishes for your friends to be safe, too - LI is supposed to get it worse than us.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wind_damage.jpg

That image always scared me.

Living in Baton Rouge we had Gustav a few years ago, generated tornados etc. My parents started the storm with 21 trees on the lot. Ended with ZERO. Incredibly none landed on the house directly though there was some branch damage and an aluminum patio cover was destroyed. One tree was so close to the back of the house, the back doors couldnt be opened.

Now everybody has a generator, box fans and even a window AC unit (or two!) tucked away for the long wait for restoration of power after one of these. For us it was several days for power.

gdog2004 said:
what about the pool overflowing ? I dont intend to run my pump. What should I do ? I know overflowing cant be good. My pool installer recommended I drain a few inches out of the pool. Thoughts ?

You ought to be able to siphon water out of an AG pool with a hose run to any lower area. As long as the hose is full of air, one good draw on the end should start the water running over the rim, then gravity takes over. Depending on where the pool is and where the end of the hose is and how far from the house that is, you may be able to manage that even during the storm. The key is to fasten the end of the hose inside the pool at the depth you want the water to stop. When the suction is broken it all stops.

Taking a few inches off the top of the pool in advance would be smart I'd think. What is the rain forecast for your area?

I will point out, that with hurricanes, sometimes 30 miles is as good as a miss. That is, if it is 30 miles further away than forecast, all the predictions fall rapidly. A lot of areas that are forecast for 10" of rain now will not see but half of that when it is done. No telling where those areas are, however.

My water level went from normal, up 6-8", then down 18". This is the last season for this pool, so I'm not terribly worried about it. I actually got in for 30 seconds or so earlier today after I finished some emergency outdoor drain cleaning. I got out just as dry as I was when I got in- sneakers & all. The storm hadn't ramped up yet, so I went for it. (my sparklyitis has faded as of a few days/week ago)

Hey Coastal Carolina here, we live inland about 100 miles from the coast of NC. Winds were pretty bad, and lasted a looooong time. I was blessed to have never lost power and I took everyone's advice about bumping up chlorine before storm hit. The entire bottom of my pool was covered in leaves and debris. Spent about and hour raking leaves and vacuuming. Tested water and she's good. Just a tiny bit cloudy, but bumped up chlorine again tonight and running pump 24/7. Thanks to all for your advice. Usually our storms come in September, but Irene came early and my pool was still up. No damage and I am very thankful. Hope to hear from others that they weathered as well. Scary storm!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.