Attn: East Coasters in Irene's path

We were fine in South Jersey, a good amount of wind, lots of rain but our power stayed on. Pool filled up to just past the skimmer. I brought the water level down some last night and needed to pull more leaves than we have ever had out of the skimmmer but that was the extent of it. Many people in the area flooded, water in basements, lost power etc. Over all I think NJ did much better than expected.

Live in Mt. Airy, MD. Woke up at 2:00 A.M. It was blowing hard, but no damage and no loss of power LUCKILY. We had a huge limb right near our pool and somehow it successfully negotiated all of our pool house and landed with the large portion of the limb about 1' from the door of the pool shed which has a 5' overhang. It had to land on the deck vertically and then drop in to get where it got. No damage done anywhere visible on the pool house. We took the solar cover off and put a leaf net on which saved a lot of debris from hitting the pool. I would strongly suggest getting a leaf net if you have a lot of trees. It really saves a lot of cleaning during the fall also. After about 2 hours worth of clean-up on Sunday afternoon, the pool is back to normal. I spent about 3-4 hours preparing 2 days prior and moved all the furniture into the garage and building a birm in our driveway to funnel the water away from our pool and house. I think all that preparation saved a lot of potential problems. I can't wait to get a concrete driveway to eliminate a lot of this prep work that will happen probably twice a year until that happens.

I am a town or 2 over from X, and no damage here, just a lot of leaves. Of course, we did a fair amount of prep work as well, so I would like to think that had something to do with it.

Northern Lehigh Valley in PA checking in.

Lost a birch tree, neighbors lost a huge cherry tree which left behind a hole the size of a VW Bug. It didn't hit their house. The pool had a lot of leaves and sticks in it, just finished scooping them out. We have no power and may not have for a few days. Chems held up very well. I'll add bleach as usual and mix it in with the net.

We're on a well so no power = no water. Hauling water by the bucket from the pool, which is about 50' up the hill, is getting to be a real PITA. I tried getting a siphon going with the garden hose but can't get enough suction on it. Can't fill it with water because there is no water. . .

Could be worse. Nobody was hurt, nothing major was damaged. The top rail on the fence is a little bent and that's about it. Lots of cleanup though.

PUBLIC SERVICE MESSAGE #2

Do not lower your pools yet. Water tables are still extremely high. Manually skim your pools for now until the water table has had a chance to subside!!! I have had and seen multiple reports of floating liners. F/G and Gunite pop ups won't be far behind.

Scott

East Hartford Connecticut here - we have easily survived this storm - honestly what we got was hardly different from the downpours we get in the summer, except the storm lasted longer and we had occasional hard gusts of wind. The pool is fine; got leaves from the maple tree nearby and that is it. Found yesterday I used a lot chlorine but when I checked my stabilizer I had a reading of 20 - yikes; so I put 7 pucks in the in-line dispenser and am letting it rip. My thoughts and prayers go out to those who didn't fare as well as we did.
2rrmdmh.jpg

In NJ about 35 miles West of Manhattan. No cover, but I put out my leaf net and then chucked a pair of bricks in the center about 15' feet apart so it would stay submerged. It worked great! I had a lot of small branches with leaves and got them all. Wind got a little over 50 mph. Rain was fierce (~8") but I just let it overflow as it just runs down the hill. Chemistry was fine. Bungee'd metal pool furniture to the fence and it didn't move. Umbrellas, cushions and toys went inside the house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.