Thread: Film on pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Film on pool?

Pool size: 30,000 gal.
    Concrete pool
    Pump: Intelliflo VF
    Filter: Sand Filter
    with a salt water system

Hello, I posted a photo below of the problem we are all of a sudden having..(hopefully I did it correctly.)
    3rd season of owning pool, and have never had this problem before.. Starting about 2 weeks ago, when the pump would first come on we would get this whitish film spreading accross our pool. We recently,(3 days ago) had a new sand filter put in.. Today after putting in more algeacide, due to algea from not having the filter running for a few days. and Shocking the pool, the whitish film came back 10 x's worse than before we replaced the sand filter. It is the film, and they are just tiny bubbles throughout the film.. The filter took care of it after about an hour, and now it is all back again. The pump, filter and salt system are all new as of this summer..
    pool levels are okay. so where is this coming from and why?.. any ideas? Thanks so much in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Film on pool?

My guess is the algaecide.

Chlorine will eventually get rid of it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Foam is almost always associated with algaecide. Algaecide is terrible at clearing up a pool. It seems from your post you have tried everything but the thing you really need....chlorine, and lots of it.

If that's the case, post back with questions and start reading pool school and we'll help you get the pool crystal clear.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you so much for the quick replies! yes, I have definitely tried everything.. I hadn't thought about it being the algaecide.. But it makes sense because until you replied, I also hadn't thought about the algeacide that I am using is one that I hadn't used before as well.. Just started using it.. around when the first foams came.. sigh... Didn't even think about that.. will add some more chlorine tomorrow and do away with that algaecide and of course, read me some pool school!
    At least I have a new way to look and try tomorrow, thank you, I appreciate the help!