no chlorine = too much chlorine

Jan 2, 2011
Anyone can explain to me why since nearly 1 month now, I haven't add any chlorine in my pool, but since that same period of time, every water check I make, indicate chlorine is too high ???

Other tests like PH, TA etc... look ok ! My water always look clear.

thanks

I always used chlorine pucks. 1 in the skimmer and 1 on the floting device, but since 3-4 weeks, I stopped using chlorine pucks because chlorine was like I said too high, I don't know exactly how much !! on the strip test, it's have the exact color for "spa high" and with the other cheap test kit, again color is dark yellow, which is the highest color on the bottle color.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't what FC mean !

frenchie said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't what FC mean !
Sorry about that. FC = free chlorine which is the good stuff that oxidizes the bad stuff.

Disregard the test strip reading. Your other kit is an OTO chlorine test and should be able to at least tell you if you have some chlorine in the pool, though it does not differentiate between FC and TC (total chlorine). Take a read through this article in pool school: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry I would recommend you get a good test kit (see link in my sig...get the tf100). As you have suggested, chlorine does not "magically" regenerate, so not having chlorine in you pool means you are at risk for organisms multiplying.

I wanted to get that test kit, but way too expensive , especially here in canada. I bring a water sample to my hardware store who do the test for free to customers. I may take this too seriously, since my water have always been clear and nice. I will bring another sample before season's over.

other topic, an update on my 2 fafco solar panels I installed this season work terrific ! I once reached 92 degrees, so very proud and satisfy with that project.

thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.