Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any experience with epoxy grout on tile counter of BBQ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any experience with epoxy grout on tile counter of BBQ?

Just finished tiling my BBQ and now am looking into various options for grout:
    1) Epoxy grout - Hear it is bullet proof, especially for outdoor use. Not sure of the texture and it is expensive.
    2) Standard sanded grout with sealer mixed in - Hear with the sealer you mix into the grout that it wont need to be re-sealed. Cheaper and easier to work with.
    3) Standard sanded grout sealed after install - Probably the worst option because will need to be re-sealed year after year.

Anyone out there have any experience with these options and how well they held up over time?

Is the expense of the Epoxy grout worth it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any experience with epoxy grout on tile counter of BBQ?

Looks nice!
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA

3. Back To Top    #3

The real experts on this subject are at the John Bridge Tile Forum.

Another amazing group of helpful folks there, the industry and DIY experts will steer you right every time.

They say they're the friendliest form and it's very true, but IMO they're par for par with this amazing friendly forum. My two favorites!
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the referral Frog. I just posed the same question over there.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, the consensus came back that epoxy grout was the way to go...so that is the way I went. I got a product called CEG Lite from the Big Orange store. I must admit I was a bit nervous about what to expect but when I started working with it, it was a lot like normal grout. Then I came to the backsplash and got a bit overzealous. I applied the grout about half way down and realized it was starting to set up. It was amazing how quickly it went from going on just fine to getting firm and very difficult to work with. I was able to scramble and get the backsplash wiped down with a lot of elbow grease, but it was rough there for a bit. I mixed up the second bucket to finish it off and it was much easier going with a fresh batch. I wish I knew that it setup so quickly and I wouldn't have worked such a large area. Oh well, all is done now and I am very pleased with the results. We had a decent rain the other night and the water just runs right off of the grout. Here is a pic of the final product.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice outdoor kitchen. What make is your grill? Looks like a Summerset.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks!

It is a Jenn Air 4 burner. I got it at the Blue box store a few years back collecting dust. It is one of the older models with the 304 Stainless. No complaints so far.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds like you got the exact advice you needed from John Bridge Tile Forum. Woot!

Looks fantastic. Nice work! So jealous am I... :~}
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.