Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Good cleaner for leaves?

1. Back To Top    #1

Northville, Mi

Good cleaner for leaves?

Hi everyone - new here and looking for some advice. Got a pool going in (16x32 rectangular vinyl liner) and there are woods behind me, so I expect a lot of leaves. I haven't picked a cleaner yet, but I want one that's as user maintenance fee as possible.

What would everyone recommend and what particular things prompt the recommendation?

15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Good cleaner for leaves?

I can't think of a cleaner that will pick up many leaves. You will be far less disappointed if you plan on scooping out the leaves with a leaf net and letting the auto-vac pick up the stragglers.

Even the leaf canister add-ons wont begin to touch the amount of leaves that accumulate in my pool. Others owners don't get as many but it sounds like you do.....plan on a leaf net and increased biceps!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Surface leaves- Leaf net
    Floor- Leaf net and the bits can be any auto cleaner.
    Newbie in Hampton, Virginia
    TF-100 test kit
    18' round x52" /Sharkline Heritage /8000 gal /vinyl AGP
    Intex 2650 GPH, 1 HP, sand filter and SWG combo
    Solar cover

4. Back To Top    #4
    Portland, Oregon

FWIW, my small Aqua Tech Broom Vac can pick up some good sized leaves. Up to about 3" long. BUT... only when the flap on the inside of the head that is supposed to prevent back flow of debris is tucked up and out of the way. It does suck up small leaves (quarter plus sized) well even with the flap down.

I'm assuming the larger models have larger openings and might work better on larger leaves. I assume these also have a flap but I do not know.

Compared to a standard pool vac head I also do not know as I haven't yet had an opportunity to use one of those.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm looking for a replacement for my Polaris 380 since it stopped working after 7 years, but it was great at picking up a ton of leaves of all sizes (very stiff leaves up to 8 inches long). I will probably get another 380 if someone doesn't recommend something better.

My surface is plaster. I think you would need a different type of wheel or track for vinyl.