My First Post

Liteguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2011
Cave Creek, AZ
Hello All.

First I'm glad I found this site, thank you.

My wife and I just purchased a home here in Cave Creek, AZ and inherited the pool that came with the house. The folks that lived here previously had a pool service, so the pool looked clean anytime we saw it prior to closing. The pool is inground, egg shaped, 6 feet at the deepend and one skimmer and no pool cleaner. I would like to clean this myself but not ready to buy the robot style cleaner.

Is it a simple matter of buying a hose and some sort of gadget that will go into the skimmer so I can suck the debris off the bottom? Any recommendation of a simple cleaning "kit" or do I just piece the rig together, or some other economical idea?

Thank you very much.

Steve

Welcome Liteguy!

I think the most important thing to have is a brush. You need to brush your entire pool once a week (at least).
You would need this even if you had an automatic pool cleaner.

You can easily get by without one though. Just brush everything to your bottom drain. Vacuum up the big stuff with the hose you already have.

Brushing is a key part of preventing algae growth in your pool.

Do you have a vacuum that came with the pool? there will be a plate that goes in the skimmer and a hose and a vac head. See the Visual Encyclopedia sticky for info on that.

You may also want to get a pool leaf rake. Looks like a butterfly net and you push it to scoop up leaves and stuff. It gets the bigger stuff. The vac gets the finer stuff.

I also like the Wall Whale brush, it stays on the pool surface so easily, less work.

And I also have a Spa Wand, to get that one little leaf or worm out of the shallow end or the spa.

anonapersona said:
Do you have a vacuum that came with the pool? there will be a plate that goes in the skimmer and a hose and a vac head. See the Visual Encyclopedia sticky for info on that.

You may also want to get a pool leaf rake. Looks like a butterfly net and you push it to scoop up leaves and stuff. It gets the bigger stuff. The vac gets the finer stuff.

I also like the Wall Whale brush, it stays on the pool surface so easily, less work.

And I also have a Spa Wand, to get that one little leaf or worm out of the shallow end or the spa.

Pool came with nothing except a dead bird :)) So I'm basically starting from scratch here, so this weekend will get the basics and will invest in the pool test kits suggested here. Thank you-Steve

launboy-VinylVacuum.jpg

You can pick these up at Wal-Mart or any pool store. Attaches to your hose and sucks right into your filter. Runs around $10-$20 depending. Some muscle work is required, but can't beat the accuracy. Even with the robotic vacuum I can't tell you how many times I watch it drive right up to a leaf, stop, turn around leaving the darn thing on the bottom of the pool! :rant:

Leebo said:
launboy-VinylVacuum.jpg

You can pick these up at Wal-Mart or any pool store. Attaches to your hose and sucks right into your filter. Runs around $10-$20 depending. Some muscle work is required, but can't beat the accuracy. Even with the robotic vacuum I can't tell you how many times I watch it drive right up to a leaf, stop, turn around leaving the darn thing on the bottom of the pool! :rant:

That's the ticket, thx!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.